Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes transmission
An_253323 posted:
I've had herpes for over 10 years. I've been dating a woman for about a year and we have been able to not infect her thus far by avoiding sex during an outbreak. My obs are mild with one or two blisters sometime with no pain or anything. Well last night we had sex and afterwards I noticed two red dots where I usually get obs. Apparently I had two blisters almost fully healed and the two scabs came off prematurely. I know I am more infectious at this time than without symptoms but how much more? Also if the scabs came off inside her does that make it more likely she will catch it?

abe648 responded:
I do hope that you have told her you have GH? From your post it seems like she knows. So if she knows then she accepts the risk but like all of us we never want to infect someone else. The fresher the ob's most likely the greater the risk but that still does not mean that she will get GH. I have been with my wife for 30 years ands she still does not have it.

Male to Female Transmission for HSV 2
The odds of you getting GHSV 2 is as follows. If the two of you avoid sex when he has an ob then the chances of you getting it is 8-10%. If he takes suppressive therapy then it drops to 4-5% and if you use condoms then it go's to 2-3%. The details are from the Valtrex clinical trials study. At your age most likely you may not want to use condoms and so it increases your risk a bit higher to 2% which is still very low risk.

If you have any more questions
just ask so we can help you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 responded:
The more I have thought about it I think that the risk is lower but I have no idea if my thoughts are right. Since you were at the point of the scabs coning off then you most likely were moving in the direction of healing but I do not know for sure if that is correct. Just what I think maybe possible.

When the two of you are sexually active it is always good to make sure that the two of you are well lubed as the more lubbed the less risk of transmission since by being well lubbed you do not have as much friction and the drier you are down yonder then the great risk of transmission as the drier you are the more friction and the greater chance of transmission. If the two of you suddenly hit a dry spell make sure to have a good lube available to use to keep the friction issue down.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.