Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Possible Herpes Contraction?
mosnot posted:
I'm a 23 year old bisexual male. I've only had sex with 4 people so far, and I ALWAYS use protection. Approximately a month ago, I've had anal sex with a guy who doesn't have any STDs as far as he know. We were running out of lube, and the sex was becoming painful so we stopped, and I showered immediately after.

The next day, I was taking a shower and I've felt a small bump just above my anus.I could barely see it. It didn't hurt at all, nor did it itch. I've watched it carefully and it drained a little pus and blood for the next 2 days. Afterwards, it healed completely and is no longer visible, yet I can still fill a bit of hard mass, like the mass that remains after a cyst or a large pimple drains and heals over. No redness, rash, bumps, pain or itching. Nothing like what I've read about herpes sores and blisters, so I've assumed it was an anal abscess.

I've been stressing myself since, and I haven't had any more problems until 4 days ago, when I was having this minor itching sensation on my penis and pubic area, didn't bother me much. Just went away after a few scratches. The next night I was having the same itching sensation in random places all over my body when I was trying to sleep. Decided to get out of bed do some more research and examine myself. I've applied some gold bond all over. I noticed my lymph nodes in my groin are slightly raised. They could of been swollen all along, but I didn't notice it until that night.

The itching sensation no longer appears to affect my whole body, but just in the genitals, and the same spot where the pimple formulated a month ago. I got screened for HIV, gonorrhea and chlamydia. Everything came back negative, but I haven't gotten examined for herpes because I can't afford it right now (starving college student). But I'm dying to get tested, and the anticipation killing me. Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

abe648 responded:
"it drained a little pus and blood" Herpes does not have pus and blood like you say. Herpes usually builds up a clear fluid and in about 3-5 days or so it will break and drain the clear fluid and then heal. This does not sond like herpes but when you can afford it go and get a "type specific IgG blood test for HSV 1 & 2 to find out what your herpes status is. LIke a lot of STI'S you do not have to have ob to have herpes. So saying you have no symptoms does not mean that you do not have it and testing will tell you where you stand.
God Bless you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

mosnot replied to abe648's response:
I've done a lot of research, and from my understanding, it doesn't sound anything like herpes either.

I still get the itching sensations all over my body. 2 days ago, I've noticed a few patches of inflamed hair follicles giving off the same itching sensation, it resembles more like a rash, but it's hardly noticeable and could easily go ignored if I wasn't so concerned. They are visible on neck, arms, waste line, and I still get the itching sensations all over, even on the scalp and the acne I've had on my face, back and chest for years.

I'm starting to think I may have a case of staph or folliculitis, but I still get itching sensations on the urethra and the glans. I don't have any visible bumps or scars on my penis, but I do believe i see patches of inflamed hair follicles on my testicles and pubic area, but it's barely visible and hard to tell.

I'm thinking this condition is a matter that cannot wait, so I'm gonna try to get myself checked out tomorrow and hopefully get tested for herpes. I appreciate the concern and I will keep you posted.

abe648 replied to mosnot's response:
It never hurts to get a "type specific IgG blood test for HSV 1 & 2. Ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them on here so someone can confirm your status for you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

I'm just posting an update on my status for those who my be experiencing the same symptoms.

3 days ago, I've felts a few (2 or 3) small bumps scattered on my scalp that were giving off the same itching sensation. The bumps aren't visible, but I can barely feel them. I've also noticed some inflamed follicles around my wasteline. I must remind you that these bumps look similar to goosebumps, but hardly noticeable and not nearly as raised, no redness at all, but the patches of inflamed follicles on my neck looks more like the minor allergic rashes I get from wearing necklaces that contain nickel in the chain.

I haven't been able to get myself examined yet, but I've still been getting the itching sensations until I took a bath with a few cups of vinegar and applied some cortisone cream on the small patches of inflamed hair follicles last night, and in the pubic area and the anus as well.

I can say that that definitely relieved the itching by far, yet I still get a few itching sensations every now and then. I also learned earlier today that cortisone worsen herpes symptoms, so I'm just waiting for something to come up.

I do intend to get tested asap, but until then, I will look carefully for any abnormalities.

isis8603 replied to mosnot's response:
Abe I can tell you that you are incorrect about herpes sores not draining pus. As someone who has herpes I can tell you that they DO ooz a puslike substance when they break open.

Mosnot the symptoms you are mentioning do not sound like herpes.But I would still get it checked out to ease your mind and find out exactly what is going on with you.

abe648 replied to isis8603's response:
isis8603 I have had a lot of HSV 2 ob's as well and they have always been filled with a liquid typw substance that looks a lot like water and from all the posts that I have read where others who know alot about herpes also explain what they look like the way i describe them. I have never heard of anyone who said that they have had pus and or blood in a herpes ob. Not say that you do but on average most have a liquid drain out not pus and blood.

isis8603, was it "pus" or "pus-like"? I've done a lot of research, and of all the posts I've read from other sources, your post is the first post I've read about experience pustules in the form of herpes. The bump that appeared on my anus was definitely white pus.

I do have acne on my face, chest and back, and I do get a few acne scars on my butt and thighs every once in a while, I've just never had one on my anus. It was very small, I was more surprised by the amount of pus that drained from such a small pimple. I can still fill a bit of hard mass where it occurred, which lead me to believe it could of been a cyst. I just think it's a coincidence that the bump appeared in almost 24 hours after my last intercourse., and that all of the itching occurred 3-4 weeks later.

I am thankful for all of the responses, the itching is relieving by the day, and the bumps appear to be fading. Since my symptoms have cleared, I've decided I'm going to get tested I'm getting tested next month (after my 3 month mark).

abe648 replied to mosnot's response:
mosnot Thank you for your reply. All the posts I have read always talk about a clear liquid fluid that appears to look alot like water.
Have a great day!

I'd like to post a follow-up on my status. Since my last post, I'm pretty convienced that there's a huge possibility that I may have herpes, no crazy, obvious herpes symptoms.

Since my last post, I've still been experiencing some mild itching just above my butt crack, the pubic area and on the right side of my testicles, yet no visible bumps or rashes on the genitals. Nothing too bothersome.

I've still been getting those itchy rashes that appears as goose bumps or slightly raised follicles in random places, they itching will go away after 2 or 3 days, yet I still have the raised follicles in the places where all of the itching occurred.

Yesterday, I've had some light headaches, and I haven't had a headache in months. I've noticed a red bump on my foot and calf of what I thought was a mosquito bite, yet it never raised and the itching isn't nearly as bothersome. I've applied cortisone to it and it went away.

Today, I've noticed what appears to be a blister or wart, between my toes. It doesn't itch or hurt. It's just there. This is the closest visible symptom I have to herpes.

It may be herpes, it may not. But I'm pretty sure I've contracted herpes and I've come to accept it. I'm getting it checked out Monday, I'll post a follow-up.

mosnot replied to mosnot's response:
I forgot to mention that I've only used cortisone to relieve the itching all this time, I've applied it to the rashes, and on the genitals. The cortisone doesn't seem to irritate it all.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.