Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Newly diagnosed with questions
An_253440 posted:
My IGG came back > 5.00. Apparently this lab does not give specific values. From reading here and Terri's book that I read while awaiting the results, I know this is a long term infection. I requested a copy so that I can see what lab, etc. but bottom line is that I have HSV 1 and 2. This seems especially shocking to me (the HSV1) since I have never had a cold sore in my entire 39 1/2 years on the planet nor has my husband whom I have been married to for 13 years.

When I was 18 I had sex unknowingly with someone who later told me that he had HSV2. Fast forward 21 years and no outbreaks later . . . .I have no idea if he was the person who gave it to me or some other partner with no symptoms or what. My husband is being tested next week. We have had unprotected sex for 13 years and he has no symptoms of having it nor have I until recently . .except that I occasionally would get a rash at the base of my spine and on the top of my butt. I had no idea it was herpes. None whatsoever. Now I know.

I broke out with a nickel-sized red area with a cluster of small blister near my anus. I suspected herpes right away because of the blisters. I got out my handy 10X magnification mirror and studied it every day. I finally went to the dr. Right away he said "herpes".

If I were 20 years old and didn't already have my 3 kids, I would be absolutely devastated. But, I am 39, my husband loves me regardless. Of course, I cannot wait to see the results of his IGG test. If he is negative, it means that I have had this for more than 13 years and never transmitted it to him. It's mind blowing really.

What set off my noticeable outbreak? I swear I believe it was because I was binge eating chocolate covered almonds.

My dr offered me two options--Valtrex at the sign of an outbreak or a 2 year suppressive therapy. I don't what to do. Seeing as how I haven't had a "real" (i.e. painful and bothersome outbreak) ever until now, I'm not sure I should do it. On the other hand, my vagina literally felt like it was on fire 2 days ago and this was after the lesion was completely healed.

Anyone have any input? I have the "live love and thrive" book also with all the natural remedies. I sure won't be eating any almonds/chocolate. lol

What are the statistical chances that my husband will be negative after 13 years? I know that female-to-male transmission rates are much lower . .

abe648 responded:
s the IgG figure for HSV 1 or HSV 2. If it is HSV 1 not a big deal as on average you will get on more ob the first year and then on average you will get one more ob every other year and some people never get another HSV 1 ob.

If it is for HSV 2 that is a bit different as most peopel will get around 2-4 ob's per year with some people gettting up to 10 or more per year. It is very possible that you did not pass this to your hubby as the odds are very low female to male. He may not even have it even it it is HSV 2. Now that you are older like you say it is not a big deal. If it came back at 5.0 you are positive for which ever one you tested for.

Here is a link for first time ob's which may help you.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/sexual-conditions-and-stds-exchange/forum/4730/7

I have been with my wife and have had HSV 2 for over 30 years and she still does not have HSV 2.

Click on the Tiger to read more info.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

An_253440 replied to abe648's response:
I received my results over the phone. The nurse said that both HSV1 and HSV2 were positive at >5.00. I am awaiting a copy of the results in the mail. I did have a specific IgG test for both. My dr also did an IgM which I know is unreliable and a culture.

I read all of the info on your profile . . the rate of transmission while taking Valtrex during a non-outbreak is extremely low. Did you do the 1-2 year suppressive period with meds?

abe648 replied to An_253440's response:
As it says it was 10 years before I even knew I had HSV 2. i had my first ob after 10 years then I showed it to my Doc and he said it is Herpes and at that time the IgG blood test was not develovvped and my Doc did not really care. So I put up with it for 17 years with an ointment that really did nothing for me. I was getting approx 1 ob every month and then one week affter the ob I would get an urinary iritation that I still have no idea what it was then we would make love and I was back to the whole thing starting all over again. The urinary iritation disappeared affter I started taking Valtrex. Then in 2008 I found this site and learned that there was a test called and igG blood test. I finally went to a walk in clinic and confirmed it was HSV 2 and got a Doc to give me a R/x for Valtrex and it was not a generic at that time and the cost was approx $4.50 per pill. I have only had two minor ob's since then in the end of 2008 as I am taking it daily. At that time it was Valtrex and now you can get the Valacyclovir which is the generic and a lot cheaper. I just bought 90 tabs and it cost $93.50 so it has come a long way in approx 7 years. It may not be that chep where you live but it has definatly come down a lot.

At this point if your hubby is positive there is no way to figure out who gave it to whom. So just go on with your love life the same as always.

It is up to you to decide if you want to take it as needed or on a suppressive basis. The low figure of 2% transmission is only realized if you take it every day. If you have an activve love life then you may want to take it every day. So the herpes will not bother you every time you want to make love. Or you could take it as required at first to see how often you get an ob. The Herpes Handbook has the dosage for all types of suppressive therapy or as required.

If your hubby does not have it then ask him how he feels about making love occasionally and have to wait for the obb to subside. I would not start using condoms at this point in your life even if he does not have HSV 2. You have been making love for 13 years and if he does not have it then just go on with life like it was before. No need for you to get retested as anything over 5.0 is positive.

Let us know what your hubby's test results are so we can help you confirm his status for you as well.

If you have any questions just ask as there is nothing to personal to ask. If you do nnot ask then you will not know.
God Bless you and your hubby as you move forward.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

ordinarymom replied to abe648's response:
Thank you for the reply Abe! I decided to go ahead and take the suppressive therapy for now. The generic valtrex was $60 for a 30 day supply (1 gr per day).

My hubby is sceduled to be tested On October 11. Will update when I get the results.

abe648 replied to ordinarymom's response:
I would think that you should not need to take 1 gm per day as you from what I recall did enen know that you had it till now. I would ask your Doc to see if you can take only 500 mg per day as that will bring your cost down to around $30 for a month. It is up to you but if you are on 500 mgs per day rhat should help you control it. 1 gm is normaly used for someone who has 10 or more obs per year. Once your hubby gets tested post his results so we can help you figure out his status. Even if he does not have GH i would not change your love making ie do not start using condoms but again that is up to him if he does not have GH. The recommended dosge for all suppressive therapy is in the Herpes Hadook and I perhaps Terri's book may have them as well. Remeber you could still get some ob's but they should be less than if you did not take any suppressivve therpy. As noted in the Herpes Handbook you can take more when you feel an ob coming on.

God Bless you two and RELAX life will go on and things will all work out.

Gpd

ordinarymom replied to abe648's response:
Abe,
I wanted to update you with the results. My husband's HSV2 test was negative (igG .53). All these years and he has never contracted it! He says wwe will continue to do things the way we always have. I am feeling better now. I have no symptoms at all. Thank you for replying to my posts.

abe648 replied to ordinarymom's response:
Your Welcome! That is great news that your husband does not have HSV 2 and even greater news that he feels that he wants things to go on the same as always.

That means that you have a great husband that loves you no matter what happens and that is worth a lot. Obviously he is mature and the two of you can move on and have a happy and a fulfilling love life.

Did you get your R/x dropped to 500 mg/day? I hope you did as you should not need to take 1gm per day. The less you have to put into your body the better.

Since you said that you have three children you will need to sit down and talk to them when they get to that age where they need to know about STI'S and remember to let them know that someone can have STI'S and have no symptoms and still transmit STI'S to someone else. It is up to you but if it comes up in a discussion with them it may be helpful to tell them what you have but that depends on how you talk to your children at that time and how you feel about it. It may be helpful for them to know that you are talking from experience.

Now may God Bless both of you and may you have a long and happy love life together. Abe

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.