Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Syphilis
Kaito777 posted:
Hi, I just received some troubling news today. It seems that I have syphilis and the infection seems to be strong (3 pluses out of four - at least that's how this test is done). I never had any symptoms from what I can remember, and I only found out accidentally because I had to take the test as a legal requirement for the papers I need in order to get married. Both me and my partner have done this test, only that he tested negative (is that even possible, given that we have an active sex life and we don't use any protection other than me taking birth control pills?). We've been together 6 years so what's the possibility of him not getting infected? I haven't been with anyone else since we've been together, so, if the test is indeed positive it must mean I've had it before we met, which scares me because it means it's old and I'm afraid it might have already had affected my organs, which is what I read can happen for untreated syphilis. I have already repeated the test and tomorrow I'll get the results. I understood there's a possibility that it might have been a false positive, but that also this could indicate an auto-immune disease, so I don't know what's better - having old syphilis, or the latter?
I am wondering if it really is possible that my bf didn't get infected in so many years of being together. I'm also wondering what are the chances my organs are affected by now, as I heard this can be the case with old syphilis. Is antibiotic treatment going to resolve it much harder than it would have if I caught it and treated it in the beginning?
A doctor told me not to worry at all and not bother getting any treatment because is looks that the syphilis is inactive and that I only have the antibodies but no active infection... to be honest it wounded very weird and I don't think it makes any sense, especially since she didn't know how to explain her POV.
Any input appreciated!
Thanks!

georgiagail responded:
It's suggested that you wait for the results of this second testing first before you begin trying to find answers to these questions.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.