Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

STD Treatment concerns
An_253846 posted:
Hi all,

I apologize in advance for the long post, but I'm looking for a second opinion... The story and question go like this:\

About 12 days ago, I received unprotected oral sex with a new partner (for all of about 10 seconds). The next day, I had unprotected sex with my regular sex partner (she has a clean bill of health) and continued to do so over the next week. Finally, 7 days after the unprotected oral incident, I started feeling the following symptoms:
- Testicular pain
- Sore tip of penis
- Some minor joint pain
- Slight sore throat
- Slight fever on one of the days

So the next day, I went to the doctor and had a urine test for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia (NAAT). Two days later, I went back and got my results - all negative. However, he did say I needed to drink more water, which he read as a result of part of the urine test...

He then explained to me that it's likely the symptoms are caused by a virus. He prescribed me Cephalexin (500mg 3 times daily) and told me to take it only if the symptoms persisted after 2 more days.
I asked about the sexual partner that was potentially exposed to whatever it is I have, and he said there's no need for her to be tested.

I've now started taking the antibiotics and the symptoms are lessening... However, I can't tell if this is due to the antibiotics or my body building an immunity of sorts to the virus he mentioned...

So my questions to the community are:
1) Should the exposed partner be tested? (even though she is showing no symptoms)
2) Once I finish my antibiotics and all my symptoms subside, should I be retested for anything?
3) Should I take a blood test in a few weeks for syphilis? (as it can't be detected via urine test)
4) Are there any other safety precautions I should be taking (protected sex is a given) to ensure that all parties are treated for any STDs?

Thanks very much in advance.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.