Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Hsv 2 transmission
Anon_25095 posted:
Hi I have had genital herpes for about 9 years. I would get minor outbreaks a couple times a year when not on suppressive therapy but very manageable symptoms . I took acyclovir the past couple years because I started dating someone that didn't have it. I'm pregnant now and I stopped taking the meds. I'm petrified of giving it to him. We both understand the risks. My question is... If I have hsv already, and if he gets it without symptoms (he has yet to present with any symptoms) can I get it also on mouth through oral sex with him? I'm wondering the likelihood of passing it back and forth to different body parts if I already have the virus in my system? I have read varying opinions on this... Thank you

abe648 responded:
The odds of you getting it orally are very low as you already have HSV 2 antibodies in your system and so not likely you would get it orally. HSV 2 does not like the oral area and only a risk of 3% that anyone would get it orally and since you already have antibodies for HSV 2 not really a large risk for you.

He should go once a year and get a type specific IgG blood test for HsV 1 & 2 so he knows what his status is for both of these. He like you said could have it butg nott be getting any signs that he hasit. Many people can have GH and have no idea they have it but again he may not have it and that is why it is so good to get tested to know what his status is so both of you know what precautions you need to take or not have to take.

Have you told your Gyn that you have HSV 2? Your Gyn needs to know this so your Gyn can properly deal with your HSV 2 when you deliver.

God bless the three of you
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

ADW80 replied to abe648's response:
Thanks. Yup my Gyn knows. I was going to suggest he goes to get a blood test. If we both have HSV 2 then I prefer not to go back on acyclovir post delivery... But if he doesn't have it then I will to help prevent him from getting it. I am uneasy about bring on that daily for several yrs though.... Any thoughts on long term use and side effects ? It decreased response to the meds over time?

abe648 replied to ADW80's response:
Glad that you told your Gyn. The meds will work just as good as when you started using them. If you can afford them try to get the generic of Valtrex which is called Valacyclovir as you only need to take it once a day. It is a bit more expensve but worth the cost so you do not have to remember to take it twice a day. If he does havve HSV 2 already then no need to take a suppressive therapy if you two do not want to.

Take care and God Bless you three.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

ADW80 replied to abe648's response:
Thank you

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.