Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

(maybe) get your sex life back...
An_253977 posted:

I wanted to relate to you a potential treatment for preventing HSV-2 transmission that no doctor or drug company will share, but which appears to be highly effective.
I've read in various medical research publications, including the New England Journal of Medicine (e.g., NEJM 2010;363: 2587-2599), that HIV sero-discordant couples (i.e., where one has HIV and the other does not) have substantially reduced their risk of transmission (i.e., 44% in one study) by BOTH taking the anti-HIV medicines. Because the transmission of HSV is not completely dissimilar to that of HIV, it stands to reason that a similar strategy (officially known as Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis or PrEP) would work for those infected with HSV-2. I have searched the literature with the help of my girlfriend, who is negative (and who has studied virology), and we cannot find a single analogous study for discordant couples with HSV. Notwithstanding this, we have elected to pursue this strategy for HSV and with effective results. Specifically, we are both taking herpes medication as part of a suppressive strategy to prevent the transmission of HSV-2 from me to her. We have been doing this for more than 5 months and without condoms, and she remains negative. I have been taking generic acyclovir twice daily, while she has been taking valacyclovir once daily, but the strategy should work with one or both taking either of these drugs. The dosing, which has been approved by the FDA for HSV-2 positive patients on suppressive therapy, is as follows: for acyclovir, it is 400 mg every 12 hours, and for valacyclovir, it is 500 mg every 24 hours. It is important to adhere to this dosing regime (i.e., do not forget to take your medicine at the right time), so as to prevent transmission and also to prevent the development of a drug-resistant strain of HSV-2. While the research data on suppressive therapy for HSV-2 amongst discordant couples (appearing in the NEJM in 2004) was very encouraging, this PrEP strategy would appear to be even more effective in preventing HSV-2 transmission and, in our case, offers that effectiveness even without a condom. Not that I would recommend not using one for a host of reasons, but it seems to be the case that adding the anti-viral protection to the uninfected person likely reduces the risk of infection to the point where the condom might be superfluous. Now the DISCLAIMER: Because there have been no studies done on this PrEP strategy, this is an off-label use of the drugs, and it is not approved by the FDA. As such, you are assuming great risk by following this strategy. I am not a doctor and cannot recommend as an expert this strategy for others. In other words, I cannot say that my experience will translate into success for you for a variety of reasons. So I must highlight this huge CAVEAT EMPTOR to my suggestion that anyone else pursue this PrEP strategy for HSV-2. Having said this, while clearly stating that I am not recommending that you follow my example, I nonetheless wanted to pass along this information to you, since it has allowed me to regain my sex life, and because it is based on sound science in the related area of HIV infection, where FDA-approved studies have been done. Even if Glaxo (the maker of Valtrex) or Teva (a maker of generic acyclovir) have apparently elected not to undertake studies of HSV transmission prevention using a PrEP strategy, you should not be denied the opportunity to further reduce the risk of transmission of HSV-2 to your uninfected partner--especially since the side-effect profile of these drugs appears so benign. If you and your partner are willing to take the risk, you might also benefit from this important preventative strategy discovered in a related field. It could be difficult to procure a prescription from your physician for the uninfected partner. I can only recommend that you be persistent and ask around. There are doctors out there that will help you.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.