Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

STD/STI Infection risk from unprotected Oral sex
An_254048 posted:
Hi everyone,

So I have a situation that's a bit different from what I have seen posted. I had two encounters with two different CSW's spaced about a month apart. The first encounter was on the 14th of September and the last was on October 21st. In both encounters, I received vigorous and deep oral sex without a condom. I also had protected vaginal sex on both occasions. I get tested for HIV 4 times a year (done 3 so far) and I do a full STI panel 2 times a year (done 1 so far). I have a question about my risk exposure here. I am worried that I could be infected from receiving unprotected oral sex in both encounters. I am scheduled to do a test for chlamydia, gonorrhea, and HIV on October 25th and then a full panel STD/STI test on the 15th of November. Is my testing approach to narrow? Should I expand the window? Please help.

georgiagail responded:
In regards to testing for HIV, yes. That requires at least a 90 day wait after a potential exposure.

However, oral sex carries an extreme low risk for transmission of this particular STD.

Gail

Vasto_lorde replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi georgiagail,

Thanks for the response. I understand that testing at 90 days is conclusive. The test I will be doing this Friday is aimed at the first encounter with the CSW. For that exposure, Friday will mark 42 days. I know testing at 42 days is not conclusive, is it at least a decent stopgap before doing a final conclusive 90-day test?

georgiagail replied to Vasto_lorde's response:
In regards to viral based STDs such as HIV; yes.

Up to 95 percent of newly infected folks will test positive for HIV by 25 days after transmission. By 90 days this has increased to 99.99 percent. 42 days falls somewhere in the middle.

The statistics in terms of risk for HIV transmission from unprotected oral sex (both giving and receiving) range from .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm your partners status. Thus, this is an extremely low risk exercise for HIV transmission in the first place.

Gail

Vasto_lorde replied to georgiagail's response:
So I did my STI test for my encounter on the 14th of September and it came back negative for HIV.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.