Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Recently diagnosed with genital herpes
lostandconfused12 posted:
First off i am a 17 year old girl and have only had sex with my current boyfriend. I was on my period starting Tuesday and had been having some weird pains in the vaginal area, and some burning. It wasn't until Wednesday that I noticed some swelling and thursday I noticed a few bumps/sores. I told my mom that I thought I should go to the doctor. She took me Friday. The doctor said that since I had never had sex with anyone other than my current boyfriend that he had most likely carried it dormantly so he had no symptoms. She put me on valtrex. It has been very painful, but I have been surprisingly okay emotionally with the whole thing. I wasn't officially diagnosed until Monday. I had already accepted that it was most likely herpes and that this would be a forever thing. It has beenseeming better-the bumps are going away and the swelling is almost down- I hardly feel the constant burn/itch. Then today my mom tells me I have a yeast infection too....I broke down. I just have been feeling really overwhelmed and I haven't talked to my friends because this is so personal and I don't feel that I can trust them. So this just seems impossible now and I haven't been able to find a good explanation on how this is going to affect my herpes. I know I have to be treated but I am scared that the meds. Will clash and I will have another outbreak. I have no idea what to do.

abe648 responded:
It is quite common to have other problems vaginally when you fist get your first ob. That an include a yeast infection. I do not think that it shound affect your herpes. Do you know if it is HSV 1 or HSV 2 genitally? It is important to know which one it is. If your Doc just said you have Her herpes then call the Doc's offiye back and ask them to confirm which one it is. How did they test you for herpes? Was it a swab/culture or a blood test?

Have you told your bf yet? He needs to know
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 responded:
PS I think Terri Warrens book as noted in my signature my signature line would help you a lot. It is about $17. and can be bought as an ae-book it is called "the good news about the bad news" If you have any other questions please ask as nothing is to personal to ask. If you do not ask you will not know. We are here to help you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.