Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV1 transmission with semen
An_254186 posted:
I was diagnosed 3 years ago with HSV1 by a culture taken from the tip of my penis. I have not had an outbreak since diagnosed. If my partner's mucous membrane tissue comes into contact with my semen is there risk of transmission?

abe648 responded:
The herpes virus is not in the semen or seminal fluid. It is resident in the Genital nerve endings. Actually HSV 1 genitally does not have a lot of ob's and that is why you have not had an ob since then. Some people never get another ob with HSV 1. Still you should let your partner know that you have it and that there is a possible transmission to her. even if she was to get HSV 1 what usually happens is that she would get an initial ob and then one more ob in the first year then on average one ob every other year. So that is how it works with HSV 1.

I would go to the top of the page and search in the window on this page and look for "HSV 1 genitally" and it will give you a lot of posts. Just read lots of posts to learn more. There is not a lot about HSV 1 in the Herpes Handbook.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

treelinetrekker replied to abe648's response:
Thanks, yes, my partner is aware I have HSV1 and we have both read the handbook and the 'good news, bad news' book which were both very helpful though focused on HSV2. Still there are some specific behaviors which seem to be in question, and as this is my first partner since I was diagnosed I am being very cautious. I gather that testicles are not mucous membrane and so the virus would not shed from there or from semen. Also I assume that unprotected intercourse in water would seem to have lower risk but probably still not zero. Thank you for your insights.

treelinetrekker replied to treelinetrekker's response:
One further question: from what I have read I think it would be worthwhile for my partner to have a blood test to determine if she has HSV1 antibodies. It seems there is a better than 50% chance she does (we are both over 50), and if she does that really makes all our efforts at preventing her infection moot. Her provider thinks though that her history doesn't indicate a need for her to be tested. I have offered to pay for her test as I disagree. Anyone else think she should be tested?

abe648 replied to treelinetrekker's response:
I think that you are over thinking HSV 1. Technically you can shed from anywhere in what is called the "boxer short" area which is any where a pair of boxer shorts would cover. But what you need to know is that HSV 1 genitally is no big deal. Even at your age it is quite possible that your gf already has HSV 1. By the time we are approx. 70 yrs old approx. 70% of people have HSV 1 orally. Even ff she gets tested she could come back positive for HSV 1 but you still do not know where the HSV 1 is. It could be oral as she may have had it for years or she could have it possibly genitally there is no way to know unless she gets an ob and gets swabbed like you did.

It may be good if she did get tested for All STI's including HSV 1 & 2 as she could have HSV 2 and no know it. It would be good if you got tested for all STI's as well to see if you have any STI'S. If bboth of you come back with only the HSV 1 that you know you have and she has HSV 1 then I woiuld not even worry about this. It is really up to her if she wants to be intimate wiith you. As I noted HSV 1 does not have a l;ot of ob's .

About the water tj
thing think of all the people who go into a pool and have HSV 1 orally and I do not think that you would catch HSV 1 orally from someone who has it and goes into a pool. I cannot really say about the risk as I am not a medical professional but I would not overly worry about. I know that Terri's book does not cover HSV 1 a lot and I still would still search HSV 1 in the searh box above and see what you can glean from the old posts .

God Bless both of you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

how do you feel towards the ONE WHO GAVE YOU HERPES
Did you know that 90% of people living with Herpes, DON'T KNOW THEY HAVE IT . Thats a big number. So you just found out you have Herpes, ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 47 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.