Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Really really confused about HSV-2, please help :(
sanddobby posted:
I recently tested positive for HSV-2, to my complete shock. According to the test it was a recent infection, probably within the last few months, but I haven't had any symptoms that I can think of. My doctor told me that since I haven't had an outbreak my risk of transmitting it is very low, and that my positive result is just a consequence of exposure and probably not an active infection. But then I read in the Westover Heights herpes handbook that a positive test result is always the result of an active infection, and since I already had an old HSV-1 infection my symptoms of a genital HSV-2 infection might have gone unnoticed. In addition, I don't know whether it's oral or genital, since either type of HSV can infect either area, and the only way I can think of that I picked it up was from giving unprotected oral sex, but I've also never had a cold sore in my life. Do I just treat this as a full-blown HSV-2 infection? How do I tell whether it's oral or genital? How can I recognize whether or not I'm having an outbreak, if I've experienced nothing resembling the symptoms I've read and heard about? I'm so confused and frustrated and I don't know what information to trust or where to turn.

abe648 responded:
Fist of all how were tested to confirm you had HSV 2? Sice you did not have an obvious ob then I would guess that you had an IgG blood test. So ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them on here so someone can confirm our results. It will be something like this. HSv is 2.50 or something like that.

Secondly HSV 2 does not like the oral area and only approx. 3% of people get HSV 2 orally. So most likely you have it genitally. Approx 20% of people are asymptomatic. I think that you need to treat this as a STD and think that you can transmit it to others. Have you been sexually active with a new
partner(s)? Click on the Tiger and open it and in there you wilf iind the rate of transmission for HSV 2
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 responded:
PS I would highly recommend the book of Terri Warran's Called "The Good News about the Bad News" You can get as an e-book from her website in the Herpes Handbook. HSV 2 is not as bad a thing as you think it is..Life will go on and you can find a partner who will love you unconditionlly!! Also the rate of transmission is low fir a female.

Ask all the questions you have so we can help you.

God Bless you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.