Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Transmission Rates Low so why so many with HSV2
An_254403 posted:
My partner has HSV2 and although I originally told him I'm ok with it...deep down inside I'm still freaked the hell out and trying to do as much research as possible. He just told me a week ago.

So if the transmission rates are so low why do so many people still have and get HSV2? I'm weary of the data found below and I need some reassurance. My man does not get outbreaks, is on suppressive meds and we use condoms so it seems like it would be just 2-3% yearly. I don't want to end a good thing but I'm very scared!

Male to Female Transmission
The chances of Male to female transmission is as follows
If you avoid sex when he has an ob the chances are 8-10% that you could get it over a year. If he adds suppressive therapy then it drops to 4-5% and if you use a condom then the risk drops to 2-3%. These stats are from the Valtrex clinical trials study.

Anon_2000 responded:
I would recommend that you read the book fo Terri Warren called"The Good News about the Bad News". You can get it as an e-book at her website or at a local book store or on Amazon.com. Cost about $16-17

You have to look at all the facts which you have but you also have to decide if this is right gor you. The more You know about HSV 2 the better you can decide which way you will go.

search HSV 2 in the search above in this site and you will get lots of posts about HSV 2 and a lot of info.

There is nothing I can say to tell you which way you want to go so will have to decide that for your self. I do not
know where you are in this relationship but if you love him then you will have to decide if HE is worth the risk? You could leave him and find a new partner who also has HSV 2!

If you have any other questions just ask so we can answer your concerns. God Bless you.

abe648 responded:
My signature line has the link below.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

jackie432 replied to Anon_2000's response:
I just wonder how true the above stated statistics are? If so then a 97% chance of NOT getting it is pretty darn good. That will buy me some extra time to continue to sustain a "normal" relationship and get to know him better to figure out whether or not this will work long term aka marriage and father potential. It is still too soon to tell and that's why I am a bit hesitant to put myself at risk for someone I am still getting to know. But the downside is that I could bolt miss out on a good relationship and with precautions probably still stay HSV2 free.... oh the conflict! If only it were easier. Gotta love these curveballs life throws at ya!

Another good point I tell myself is that I could put myself out there in the dating scene and meet someone that I am less compatible with and they too can have HSV2 or have intercourse with someone that doesn't know/not on meds and contract it that way versus being with someone great that does know they have it and take precautions with him to keep myself HSV2 free.

abe648 replied to jackie432's response:
The Stats on HSV 2 Transmisiln above arfe from the Valtrex clinical trials. So they are accurate. I think that you may wish to think of the 4-5% rate as at some point in your relationship you will decide to not use condoms. There other things you can do to lessen your risk of getting HSV 2. HSV 2 is transmitted though heat and friction. So you cannot control the heat in love making but you can control the friction by always making sure that the two of you are always well lubed and later in life if you come to a point where natural lube stops or is less one can always buy a good lube and apply liberally.

You ask why so many people have HSV 2 It is because many people have HSV 2 and do not know it and there for infect others. Of people who get tested for HSV2 and find out they have it HSV 2 .. 90% had no idea they had HSV 2.

It would be good if you got a type specific IgG blood test for HSV 1&2 to see what your status is. If you do ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them on here so we can help you confirm your status.

From reading between the lines it seems that you like this guy and you are right you could pass up this guy who really feels good for you and move on and the person whom you finally choose could still have HSV 2. So if this guy really works for you that is you really like him then why not think more seriously about him.

I had HSV 2 for 10 years before I knew I had it. I was married to my wife and was faithful and now it is over 30 years and she still does not have HSV 2. I am not saying this will be your out come. There are many people who have HSV and have a partner who does not have HSV 2. They are called discordant couples.

So if this guy is really a right fit for you think hard and long to see if you could love him and live with him for the rest of your life.

God Bless the Two of you.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

jackie432 replied to abe648's response:
I told my friend about the report and she says that since it comes from a pharmaceutical company it's probably biased trying to get more people to use Valtrex.

She made me feel really un-easy about this and also mentioned that I need to be ready for the consequences if I do get it and to know that if I get it and my relationship doesn't work out I'm stuck with this "gift". I feel like she's being so negative. I was feeling pretty sure about my decision of staying with my boyfriend.

The Stats are from the Clinical trials results from Valtrex. That is wqhatr they found in the clinical trials from what I was informed of by reliable source.

Girl yes you could get it and where do you stand when it comes to a relationship? If it means marriage then is for life

You have to decide if this is right for you.

God Bless you

jackie432 replied to abe648's response:
I do stand for marriage and so does he. So I know when I agree to this... it's for the long haul.

I am glad that both of you stand for marriage this is nice ot hear when so many people just think if it does not work our then I will split....... Have a great day.
God Bless both of you. Abe

Anon_137742 responded:
I know that when you're STD free and new to finding out about herpes in a potential partner, it can be very scary. I agree with other comments about getting a copy of Terri Warren's book, "The Good News About the Bad News.

I'm a woman who has had HSV2 for over 30 years. My (now ex-) husband also had herpes. We had two beautiful, healthy boys together who are now 29 and 26. There are measures to take when you are pregnant and about to deliver to keep from transferring the virus to your baby so even if you were to contract herpes before having a child, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I think that finding someone who is loving, honest (he told you about the herpes - that's a good sign) and communicates well (having herpes forces you to talk about difficult stuff, making discussions about less scary issues a cakewalk), than he may well be a good candidate as a life partner.

When you read Terri's book and find out what a large proportion of the population has STDs, it will help you to realize that the odds nowadays of finding someone without an STD may be lower than finding someone who does.

If you want to know some ways of being intimate with additional protection, you can read my extended response to "New Relationship" which I posted earlier this evening.

Best of luck to you!

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.