Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV1 and pregnancy/breastfeeding
Anon_36218 posted:
Hello.

My partner has HSV1 vaginally, and has had very few outbreaks since the initial episode. With any sign of outbreak, valaciclovir seems to stop it in its tracks. Last year we also noticed a small outbreak on one of her nipples, presumably passed orally (I have HSV1 oral).

We are considering having children at some point. Two questions:

1) We are thinking of her taking 500mg of valaciclovir daily during the final trimester, so as to avoid any chance of an outbreak around the time of delivery. We've read that valaciclovir has no negative effects related to pregnancy. Thoughts?

2) We've heard that the biggest concern is in not passing the virus to the infant during the first few months of life. Should she avoid breast feeding from the breast that had the outbreak for a certain period of time? Is she safe to breastfeed if she continues taking a daily dose of valaciclovir for suppression? I've heard about valaciclovir in ointment form being used for breast feeding. Is this recommended in our case?

Here's to a healthy pregnancy!

Thanks

abe648 responded:
Did you actually have what you thought was an HSV 1 ob out break on the nipple tested with a swab/culture/type within 48 hours to confirm it was HSV 1 on the nipple? If you did not then you would be only guessing it is HSV 1 on the nipple.

The best thing to do is ask a Ob/Gyn what to do in this case. If the oB/Gyn tells you that this is not there thing to comment on then she should ask her regular Doc what to do. The other thing you might want to look at is to use a breast pump to remove the milk from that breast if a Doc thinks that it can be done without contaminating the milk and then feed it to the baby.

Hope that this gives you some Idea where to turn next.

God Bless you both.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Anon_36218 replied to abe648's response:
Hi abe648, thanks for the response.

No, we did not have it formally tested, only received a visual confirmation from a walk-in clinic physician.

Guess our only option is to consult with a Ob/Gyn or a doctor now, as we can no longer confirm it it indeed was an outbreak (though I'm pretty sure it was).

If, in fact, it was, does anybody know the best practices around breastfeeding? Is it to be avoided for a number of months from that breast? Is it safe to use a breast pump?

Thanks again.

curious_canadian replied to Anon_36218's response:
Just curious, does Terri Warren (author of The Goods News About the Bad News) ever respond on this form anymore? I know she used to, but I haven't posted in quite a while.

Would love to hear from her on this issue!

Thanks!

abe648 replied to curious_canadian's response:
She does not come on here anymore. You can email her or call her at the clinic. You can find her email address and email address on her website as noted in my signature line below.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.