Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV1
An_254985 posted:
yesterday I found from a blood test that I have HSV1.
I have a partner since 1 year ago. he has not affected, which blood test confirmed it.
since my childhood until today I have never had any kind of herpes anywhere. but my partner had a lot of pimples around his sexual organ.
I am confused and sad.
how can I know that when and where I was infected?
is it transmittable to my partner? if it is, why he is not showing any symptoms?
how long does it takes from the day one of being infected until the antibodies appear in blood test?

georgiagail responded:
"how can I know when and where I was infected?"

You can't.

Most adults carry HSV1 orally, having picked this up in childhood. Most never have an outbreak.

The recommended time period for testing for viral based diseases such as these is 3 months after a potential encounter. However, quite honestly, most folks are never tested and unless they have an outbreak are totally unaware they carry this virus.

Gail

kikilee1985 replied to georgiagail's response:
I agree, I just had an outbreak yesterday and until that happened I never had any clue that I had it... Obviously I felt terrible about myself but there is nothing I can do about it but be prepared if I have another outbreak, my fiance has never had any symptoms either so we were both dumbfounded... Anyway you can contract it anytime in life from a sexual encounter when they themselves don't know they have it, yesterday I was devastated but once I seen a doctor at my sexual health clinic today I felt 10 times better... It's a part of life unfortunately but it's not as bad as you think

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.