Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Conflicting Information RE: Herpes testing
An_255232 posted:
My Ex informed me she has genital herpes. I was first exposed over six years ago, and was tested with a negative result for both HSV I LgG and HSV II IgG.

The question I have is: Is it still possible, given the time between first exposure to testing, that I can still possibly carry the virus to others? I have met a pretty wonderful person and after looking online, some say 'yes, the test doesn't preclude me from being a carrier,' to 'no, you are not.

I'm very confused, and any help would be appreciated. To expand further, the 'baseline' of the results is '<0.9 Index' for both, and the results showed '<0.9.'

Thank you!

floridastatefan responded:
In Addition: The testing was done six years after first exposure. Is it reasonable to think that should any positive results would have happened between these times?

abe648 responded:
There is no way of knowing if you do or do not have HSv 1 or HSV 2. The best thing that you and your new partner can do is go and get tested for all STI'S including HSV 1 & 2.

That way you both will know what each other has or does not have. Ether of you could have HSV 2 and have no symptoms. Having symptoms does not mean you do not have it.

Make a date of it and go together and get tested and then go out for a nice dinner and wait for the results and then you both will know where you stand.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

floridastatefan replied to abe648's response:
I appreciate your input, but I'm confused...I was tested for HSV 1 and 2, and was negative. I understand there is a 10% error rating with this test, but my question was more along the lines of can you be a carrier even with a negative result on the testing? It has been 3 years since last exposure to the time of testing. My gut instinct says that if I indeed had the virus (either one), the outcome would have been a positive result, plus symptoms would more than likely have presented themselves by now.

Thank you again for replying.

georgiagail replied to floridastatefan's response:
No; you are not a carrier if you have tested negative for both these viruses.

Gail

abe648 replied to floridastatefan's response:
We need to make some points to make sure that we are on the same page.

Ok so you had a partner that had HSV 2. You left that relationship. When did you get tested Was it 3 or more months after stopping the relationship? If so then as Gail said there would be no risk of you having or carrying HSV 2.

If however you got tested and then ended that relationship there Is a chance you could have contracted HSV 2 before you ended the relationship. If that is the case you need to get a new test to confirm you are still negative for
HSV 1 & 2.

As I said your new partner should get tested for HSV 1 2 as well to make sure she does not have HSV 2 if she had previous relationships to see what her present status is. It would also be good to get tested for all STI'S for both of you.

Just because you do not have any symptoms of any STI'S does not mean that you do not have them. Many STI'S 's can have no symptoms and you can still have and carry an STi.

God Bless the two of you as you move forward.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

floridastatefan replied to abe648's response:
Hi Abe - Yes, I was tested after the divorce. At least 2 years had elapsed between the last potential exposure and the time I was tested. The results showed negative for both types.

Sorry about the confusion, and thank you for taking the time.

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.