Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Poor Diagnosing of herpes..Or am i crazy?
An_255343 posted:
Well i had sex on Jan 8 with herpes infected woman then i started showing some of the symptoms such as fever,aches, and the feeling of being sick. I was really nervous so i went and got a blood test Jan 14. I wasn't showing any crazy signs of herpes but i knew that my lips were really dry and almost blistering but nothing that you would actually notice. The doctor got the results in and it came back negative so she assured me i was going insane feeling like i had spread it to other parts of the body. Well now its Jan 31 and after seeing a dermatologist who told me i had eczema on my shoulder cuz thats were she chose to scrap. It was some dry skin like rash there but i had to tell her to take a look at me genitals. I felt like even though there were no sores i feel in different. She took a look and said the stuff i suggested of helping eczema would help that. But i felt she was using it as a scapegoat not actually considering the possibility of anything else. I feel like after seeing two different doctors,and a dermatologist with me explaining to them that i feel like its moving to other part of my body while they insist i don't have because the blood test. It like after i read something about for instance herpes whitlow i would notice it. But i agree the mind is powerful but so is a virus. I now am pretty certain next time i take a test it will come back positive but i feel neglected. Its now Jan 31 and I'm starting to show signs of eye irritation, rash on palms, moist anus and area of testicles, gum irritation and even the tingling which first felt like a cold breeze down there. But i have pictures of the palm where i have explained to the dr that my body has been oily with wrinkle like skin in different places from my penis to my thumb. but if anyone could just shed some light and maybe i could get some real help here.

georgiagail responded:
Most of your symptoms are due to stress and have absolutely nothing to do with herpes.

On the other hand your blood test done less than one week after your sexual encounter with a woman who has herpes is totally useless in terms of accuracy. Get retested at 3 months.

Gail

hopefulgiant replied to georgiagail's response:
I will say that entirely we need to act with more of a sense of urgency. Don't let optimism turn into neglect. Thanks for the optimism but me hearing i don't have it is good for coping but when it comes down to it facts are the pillar of sanity. I see you have an active role on this site but i can assure you that the stigma of herpes being a virulent infection. But the truth is that people will have different reactions to the infection. I think the fact that its so common is a reason to take more of a it more than likely you do so these are the precautions you should take...But I'm not looking for someone to attempt to better my situation or anyones else's by giving them a sense a false hope rather than just educating them. But all around I'm just trying to understand why every dr i saw thinks I'm crazy...But know one will have the black and white proof until the test results from the 3 month mark are here..

georgiagail replied to hopefulgiant's response:
Possibly every doctor thinks you're crazy because you see everything as a symptom that you must be infected with this virus. Honestly, things like a moist anus and wrinkly skin are not symptoms of herpes.

Lots of people have herpes (in fact most adults carry the virus for oral cold sores) so this is not unusual. Please try to stay calm about this until you can get an accurate test that either confirms or rules this virus out for you. It almost sounds as if you may make yourself physically ill with this worry and that is not a good thing!

Gail

abe648 replied to hopefulgiant's response:
I agree with Gail that no need to worry till you get an accurate at test at the 3 month point. That will tell you what your status is that time. The odds of you getting HSV 2 is very low if she is on suppressive therapy. Like a 2% chance. The symptoms you are talking about are stress like symptoms. RELAX go on with life and get tested at the 3 month point and if you are concerned with HSV 2 start using condoms to protect yourself.

An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure. So Use Condoms If You Are So Concerned!!
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.