Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HIV Symptoms within a week?
lex5521 posted:
I had unprotected sex with a bar girl in the philippines and two days later i developed a mild fever and sore throat. I also spat out phlegm that had some blood in it(but that only happened once). My lymph nodes near my groin area are starting to swell a little.

Could i have gotten hiv from giving her oral? I had a couple of small cuts on my lips, because i had chapped lips at the time.

Are these symptoms of another std thats not hiv?

thanks for any help

georgiagail responded:
ARS (the first stage of HIV) occurs two to six weeks after transmission, not two days later.

Oral sex carries arn extremely low risk of HIV transmission. Think along the lines of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus. Your risk would be less since you cannot confirm her status.

Chapped lips are not are open portal into the body.

If you remain concerned, you can consider getting tested at 90 days for this STD.

Gail

lex5521 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for the info.

When you get symptoms of hiv are they supposed to be mild or severe?

georgiagail replied to lex5521's response:
These are described as "flu like" symptoms. When people get the flu the report that sometimes the symptoms are severe, sometimes not so severe. It often depends on their response on how miserable they feel.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.