HELP TEST FOR HIV!?
jgsoccer posted:
Im going to keep this brief. Here goes.l Im 19 years old male. I had vaginal sex with a sexually active girl in my age group for roughly 1 or 2 minutes. I took an Oraquick Advance mouth swab rapid test at somewhere between 9-10 weeks after exposure. And it was negative, now I know this isnt conclusive, but how relieved should I ACTUALLY be? I feel very weak and sick, I suffer from anxiety and depression. My biggest fear is finding out I have it and lose my wonderful Girlfriend who I want a family with one day
FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
How relieved should you ACTUALLY be that cheating on your wonderful girlfriend didn't leave you HIV positive?

Pretty relieved. Approximately 95 percent of newly infected folks will have a positive HIV screening test at 4 weeks post transmission. At 12 weeks this increases to 99.99 percent. Thus, 9-10 week testing falls somewhere in between these two statistics. In other words, it would be highly unusual that someone would test negative at 9-10 weeks and positive at 12.

The next time you consider cheating on this wonderful girlfriend, wear a condom. The virus cannot cross an intact latex condom.

Gail

jgsoccer replied to georgiagail's response:
So I should be ok? Is there any need to test again>?

georgiagail replied to jgsoccer's response:
Correct.

Gail

One more question why do people say I'm not ok till 3 -6 months ??

The recommended time period for HIV screening testing is 12 weeks after a potential exposure. It's questionable whether 1 to 2 minutes of unprotected sexual intercourse presented much of a potential exposure in the first place but at any rate, it is highly unlikely one would test negative at 10 weeks and positive at 12.

I have no idea who these "people" are that told you to wait for six month testing or whether they have any medical knowledge in the first place. The very few who MIGHT have to wait for six month testing would be folks whose immune systems have been damaged by other very serious medical issues that have nothing to do with HIV; things like organ transplants or those who have recently undergone chemotherapy. For these folks it might take their immune system a bit longer to crank out the antibodies that are tested for in HIV screening.

Gail

One last question, thanks so much for your help it's greatly appreciated. But I've also heard that due to the brevity of my exposure I basically shouldn't be all THAT EXTREMELY worried and a 10 week test of any kind rules out hiv because of the duration of sex. And I'm skeptical of the test malfunctioning because the line next to the c was faint but there was absolutely no line under it . And I read if the test wasn't working properly there would be no lines...I'm just scared and confused. I mean I swabbed my gums and all..

The OraQuick test is designed to be easy to use and really fool proof. As long as you did the swab you got an accurate sample to test for.

Gail

So in conclusion I don't have hiv? Most likely ?

Correct.

jgsoccer responded:
Is two minutes enough time for hiv to transmit? And should I test at 12 weeks?. LAST QUESTION

Your questions regarding HIV have been answered.

If you remain unconvinced regarding your status, then retest at 12 weeks.

Gail

I have one final question. If the person who helped administer the oral test bumped into the test kit while we were waiting for the 20 minutes to pass, would this cause a False negative?

tlkittycat1968 replied to jgsoccer's response:
No

jgsoccer replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Will you explain to me why please? I appreciate your answer!