Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes testing advice
An_255829 posted:
Quite upset and could really use some pointed advice on Herpes testing.

I was recently informed by the woman I am dating that she has Herpes. She has had it for 20 years, she told me after we had already been intimate several times (unprotected). Several days after she told me I began to feel a mild tingling/stinging discomfort inside the tip of my penis while urinating. It has now progressed to the point where I feel the discomfort all the time, urinating or not and the intensity of the discomfort has significantly increased. There are no visible sores, blisters, rashes, etc, nor is there discharge. It has been approximately one week since the onset of these symptoms.

Having read all can regarding Herpes testing, I am still confused and unsure about how to go about being tested accurately. The information I've found does not inspire much confidence in receiving accurate test results at this early stage. Can someone please give me some guidance on a course of action?

Thank you...

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

Here is an article about herpes testing that you might find helpful. A basic blood test done by your doctor can determine if you have herpes, whether it is type 1 or type 2, and is the most common testing method (a swab can also be taken during an outbreak). The above link will provide you with more information.

-Atti

jdh9691 replied to atti_editor's response:
Atti, thank you for the reply. I had already read that particular article... I have literally read every single relevant article on the subject on WebMD and read through hundreds of the discussion group posts and replies as well.

I was exposed to the virus approximately 2 1/2 weeks ago, became symptomatic about one week ago - everything I have read has indicated that testing this early after initial exposure (especially the blood test) is essentially a waste of time due to the fact that not enough time has elapse to test for antibodies in blood. I do NOT have any sores, blisters or the like, IE, no visible external "outbreak" for "swabbing". My only symptoms at this time are itching, burning, stinging sensation inside the urethra. Given these facts and the fact that my partner has divulged that she has HSV-2, what are my testing options?

It seems that Herpes is not particularly easy to definitively diagnosis with a great deal of accuracy in the early stages...

Thanks again!

jdh9691 replied to jdh9691's response:
Let me be more specific -

What are my BEST testing options given the above information?

herpesgirl88 responded:
http://imagesofherpes.blogspot.com/2013/04/what-is-herpes.html

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.