Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

hiv panicking
supernova0747 posted:
I had A level sex with an unknown partner bt the condom broke. I pulled of without much delay this was on 06 march.After 1 day I felt cold because I was sweating. I normally sweat very much at night even from childhood.after 1 week I felt of mild cold, but because of the climate majority of the people were suffering from the cold,sore throat etc.i feel like sore throat not pain but disturbance like scratch. I got too much pain on my calf muscle, but I used to get calf muscles pain whenever I get cold or feel tired. I don't have any lymph nodes o anything yet. Running nose still I have, but now here all people struggle from running nose and cold.i wonder whether I got HIV

tlkittycat1968 responded:
It's too soon for any symptoms even if you did have HIV. If you pulled out right after the condom broke, chances are very low, almost zero, that you were exposed to HIV.

supernova0747 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Thank u for the reply tlkitty.i actually used 2 condoms I know that frst one broken as soon as I entered bt I did some slow movement and I pulled out.whn I pulled out then I was inspecting the condom I slightly pulled the second then it also broke. I am not sure it was broken inside but 90% it broke after I pulled. we again tried again with two condoms aftr some time the first condom broke then I came.i taken out my penis from the anus then I saw the semen was contained in the condom it was not shown any sign that the semen spilled.she also assured the second condom ddnt break.but since feel like symptoms made me panic.i planned to do a PCR test will that be good enough?

georgiagail replied to supernova0747's response:
Two suggestions..

1. Have your PARTNER get tested. If they test negative (and their last unprotected sexual encounter was at least three months before, they do not have the virus to infect anyone.

2. Avoid "double bagging" it with two condoms. The friction of these two rubbing together tends to weaken them, increasing the risk of them breaking.

Gail

supernova0747 replied to georgiagail's response:
it was a one night stand and gt no chance of getting her tested .I am planning to get tested will PCR enough?Are my conditions symptoms for HIV?

PCR (Polymerase Chair Reaction) tests look for the genetic material in the actual virus. These are expensive tests done in specific labs. These tend to be recommended as screening methods for children born of HIV positive women as opposed to general screening tests for everyone.

Do a simple antibody test at this one month time period, then a second one at three months. Far easier (there are rapid antibody screening tests with results available in 20 minutes). At one month post transmission up to 95 percent of newly infected folks would have enough antibodies present to have a "reactive" (i.e., positive) test result. Thus, a screening test now would give you a pretty good idea of your status.

We do not attempt to diagnose HIV by symptoms.

Gail

supernova0747 replied to georgiagail's response:
I understood that point Gail.thnx.bt plz let me knw PCR test is reiable or not?will it give a correct result?

IF the PCR test is run by a lab that knows what it is doing (i.e., doesn't screw up this tricky test) the results will be accurate.

Gail

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.