Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Chancre developed after penicillin treatment
louphoenix posted:
I was exposed to STDs due to a terrible decision making night on April 5. After a night of drinking way, way too much, I performed unprotected penetrative oral and anal sex on another male who I had just met that night. I am uncircumcised and I am aware that it increases the risk of acquiring HIV. The next day I woke up with my senses back on, freaked out and ran out to the hospital, where was given an STD risk assessment and received a course of antibiotics (for chlamydia and gonorrhea), a penicillin shot for syphilis and a prescription for nPEP in case of HIV exposure (which I'm still taking until May 3 for a total of 28 days). I should also note that my baseline status is clean. I have had only 1 monogamous (female) partner during the past 5 years and I was screened and tested squeaky clean about 1 1/2 years ago.
One of my immediate concerns and the point of this post is that several days after the penicillin shot, a chancre appeared on the shaft of my penis. I should note that the sore matches a syphilis chancre to a T: single, painless, round sore with some discharge (it no longer leaks but the chancre is still there). It also looks a lot like most of the syphilis chancre images I've seen on Google.
Does the presence of a chancre after treatment imply that the penicillin shot did not work as intended? or could it be that treatment requires a period of time to work where primary syphilis symptoms could still manifest while the antibiotic takes effect? It's been 17 days since I received the penicillin shot. I will have a follow up visit with my primary doctor next week, but I wanted to ask and find out if it's even possible for a chancre to appear after being treated less than 24 hours after exposure.

georgiagail responded:
Since you have an appointment with your physician next week, you can show him what you consider a chancre and discuss whether this indicates syphilis.

Gail

louphoenix replied to georgiagail's response:
I definitely will. I just want to know now if that's even possible after treatment. Is it?

louphoenix responded:
anyone?

louphoenix responded:
any opinions on this? ...anyone?

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.