Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV-2 transmitted through Oral Sex
Lishia83 posted:
I am a 24 year old woman who has HSV-2 but the guy that I'm dating does not have either HSV-1 or HSV-2. I have no visible symptoms of genital herpes and found out that I had HSV-2 via blood test (IgG). If we engage in oral sex, can he perform oral sex on me? What are his chances that he could get either HSV-1 or HSV-2 orally/in the genital area? He already knows that I have the disease but we just want to make sure that he doesn't acquire the disease as well. Please help!!!

kaisanan responded:
What were your IgG test results?

If you do not have HSV1, he cant get HSV1 at all.

Giving you oral sex, it is possible to contract HSV2 orally, but HSV2 doenst like the oral area. There are not specific stats on this.

Gentially: Let's say you have an infected female and an uninfected male. If they avoid sex during outbreaks, don't use condoms regularly, and don't take antiviral therapy every day, the risk of transmission is about 4% per year. But if you add condoms, it reduces transmission about about 50%, if she takes Valtrex 500 mg once a day, she can reduce transmission also by about 50%... so about 1% in a year, that is very low.

Lishia83 responded:
Well my IGg test results were HSV-1 5.0. I believe these were done by Quest Diagnostics. My doctor advised me that I could still resume my sex life (using protection of course). That there was no need to use Valtrex or any other kind of suppressive therapy because I do not have outbreaks. He said the only time that I should take suppressive therapy is if 1) I eventually do get symptoms or 2) I was to get pregnant and six weeks prior to me delivering, I shoud take the suppressive therapy just so that any flare ups can be avoided before delivery. I enjoy oral sex but I want to make sure that I'm not putting him at risk.

Lishia83 responded:
Sorry these are the revised test results

HSV-1 less than 0.20 HSV-2 greater than 5.0

kaisanan responded:
If you are in a relationship and want to further decrease the odds of transmission., that would be another reason to take it: (because you can spread the virus without symptoms)

Let's say you have an infected female and an uninfected male. If they avoid sex during outbreaks, don't use condoms regularly, and don't take antiviral therapy every day, the risk of transmission is about 4% per year. But if you add condoms, it reduces transmission about about 50%, if she takes Valtrex 500 mg once a day, she can reduce transmission also by about 50%... so about 1% in a year.

If you were not on supressive therapy (daily medication), then it would stay at 2%)

dmny1 responded:
If I had oral sex with a male, and then moments later with a female is it possible to have transmitted it from the male to the female then? hsv2 that is

abe648 responded:
Please Start your own discussion. And give a bit more background. Like do you have HSV 2 or does the guy have HSV 2 so somone can give a better answer.

mona_lisa1986 responded:
you should still be take medication it lessens the chance of your partner getting the hsv-2 during sex. hsv-2 is not transmitted through oral but some doctors want you to use protection for that too. i know this because i have it.

koerner replied to kaisanan's response:
Hey kaisanan,
These numbers are very comforting to me. But can you tell me what sources you got them from? I want to verify their authenticity.

Thanks!

abe648 replied to koerner's response:
the facts are from the Valtrexx clinical trials and the correct figures for Female to male transmission are as follows. If you do nothing other than avoid sex when you have an ob the odds of him getting it is 4% if you take suppressive thearpy then it drops to 2% and if a condom is use it is 1 %
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.