Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Itching, cuts, valtrex not working
Ladyhottie posted:
Please Help, Advice needed!

in 1999 I contracted herpes from a man with a coldsore having oral sex.

9 years, 2kids, no pass to my hubby, no outbreaks.

now the past 4 mo I have been getting sever itching followed by papercuts in my folds. I take Valtrex for a week it seems to start to heal then comes back with a vengance. I have been threw 6 scripts and still no relief. I just started a supressive theraphy 10 days ago and been taking 3000mg of L-lysine a day. I think I am getting worse!! I want itch with a wire brush!!! But the cuts hurt like crazy.

My drs are at a loss, They just give me more meds.

I have been on the net 4 hrs a day for the past 10 days googling cuts in the crotch and I am starting to wonder is it still the herpes? I havent even had a cold in 10 mo. I am a heath nut, low stress, one partner. I had all the std tests (except hsv) done when I was pregnant and they were all negitive.

I plan on going back to the dr next week and demand more test or a huge bottle of pain killers and vallium to keep me from going crazy. I am ready to CUT off my puss.

kaisanan responded:
Agree this is not due to herpes -herpes doesnt remain for 4 months straight. You are wise to go back into the dr.

Ladyhottie responded:
I have had like a week break between outbreaks but It seems the virus wont go into remission. The dr said that this happens to some people thats why the FDA approved the Valtrex surpressive theraphy. Which is why I said I will try it.

I read the westover clinic book, says birth control can cause an outbreak, yeast infection can cause the itching......in women blisters may not be seen due to the friction and that they rupture so fast all you see is a split in the skin and an a reoccurent outbreak can last upto 10 days....I am on day 10.......

Is the stress of the whole herpe thing stressing me out so much causeing them to come right back after they go away???

It sucks the drs in my big city dont know much about the virus when you ask them questions all they do is offer more meds, no explanations

I did find a girl on another health board who has got hsv1 2 years ago has been symtom free up till 3 mo ago and she is going threw the same thing I am, the meds dont seem to work more than a week then it comes right back.

I am wondering it the 5 day valtrex treatments I took 6 times in the past 4 mo were not enough meds to kick it . Maybe after the first 5 day treatment (that didnt work) I should have taken 15 days strait and it would have worked.........................................and now that I am on surpressive theraphy I have built up a tolerance to the meds (from so many failed attempts) and it will take twice as long to kick in.......................

Any thoughts????

betsyo1967 responded:
This isn't likely to be a herpes issue. What other testing have they done on you since this all started? I recommend going back to be seen when you have symptoms next and ask for a herpes lesion culture so that all of you have proof of whether this is herpes related or not.

You are not building up a tolerance to the meds. It doesn't work that way. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that everything that goes on down yonder has to be related to your herpes.

Ladyhottie responded:
I was tested for STD's when I got pregant with my first, HIV and all the others but I didnt ever have a blood test done for herpes. When I did have herpe outbreak 9 years ago she did not swab it, she looked at it then sent me home with lots of meds.

2 yrs later when I got pregnant with my first I told her I had herpes, my new obgyn said she would take my word for it because the only way to test was from swabbing a sore (which I had non)

I only found out about the blood tests by all the searching on the internet in the past few weeks, I was unaweare this was available. My obgyn just treats it, she doesnt question what it is. I will call tomorrow and see if we can do blood tests.

Is there other STD's that would show up 9 years later. My husband and I have been manogomos for 81/2 years. He has never had any std symtoms his whole life.

Is there other vaginal problems that would result in paper cuts and inflamation?

kaisanan responded:
There are lots of female issues that can mimic herpes.

When you call to have the blood test ask for a "type specific IGg" test.

abe648 responded:
I do not know if this will help you for a brief reprieve from the itchy feeling but try Benadryl at bed time to give you hopefully a good nights sleep.

It is at least worth a try for some relief for a short period.

betsyo1967 responded:
A blood test really isn't going to be your answer at this point. It's not all herpes going on down yonder and your symptoms aren't acting like typicalherpes which is why going for a further work up is in order. Have they been testing you for yeast and bacterial vaginal infections as well as bacterial skin infections?

princesssarah123 responded:
I am having the same problem! I am freaking out. Have you found out what the problem is?

I have had GH for 4 years now and i have only had the intial outbreak.. and have been on valtrex ever since (500mg/day).. Out break free until a week ago.. i started feeling a pain down there.. and i just disregarded it because i am on the suppressive theopy.. thought maybe i cut myself shaving..

2 days later i looked and it is something that looks like a cut.. a red cut in my skin.. ive upped my dose to two 500mg three times/day.. and nothing has changed.

Please someone help me. I dont know what else to do.. and i cant get into see my dr for nearly a month. HELP!

princesssarah123 responded:
am having the same problem! I am freaking out. Have you found out what the problem is?

I have had GH for 4 years now and i have only had the intial outbreak.. and have been on valtrex ever since (500mg/day).. Out break free until a week ago.. i started feeling a pain down there.. and i just disregarded it because i am on the suppressive theopy.. thought maybe i cut myself shaving..

2 days later i looked and it is something that looks like a cut.. a red cut in my skin.. ive upped my dose to two 500mg three times/day.. and nothing has changed.

Please someone help me. I dont know what else to do.. and i cant get into see my dr for nearly a month. HELP!

nan13 responded:
I have found that apple cider vinegar poured on a wet wash cloth helps sooth the pain associated with herpes. be sure to not use full strength and hold the wash cloth in place for soothing relief. It doesn't last forever, but brings relief every time I apply it. Hope this helps.

An_251201 responded:
I have had the symptoms of itching and the feeling of paper cuts several times. My Doctor determined these symptoms to be caused by a Yeast Infection. The Yeast Infection treatment resolved it each time. Hope this helps!

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.