Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Please help. Cancer/ herpes question
jane100 posted:
I am a 67 year old woman who was diagnosed with genital herpes about 15 years ago. Same partner, it lay dormant. Six years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 B uterine cancer. I had chemo and surgery and survived etc, and at this time cancer free. Can I take Zolvira safely? How will it effect my immune system? I have had a theory that maybe the virus activates my immune system and may help to keep the cancer from returning. So if this is true then maybe I should not try to take the medicine all the time to fight it off or leave the medicine alone? My outbreaks are more frequent recently and more physically debilitating. Also can I take it daily or use it for flare ups only due to my theory over the cancer issue. I have searched far and wide for any info on this topic. What effect in any does the medication have on suppressing my immune system and make it easier for the cancer to return. Please any advice I beg and thank you for any information

georgiagail responded:
Do you mean Zovirax (acyclovir)? Yes, you can take this. The HSV does nothing in regards to either your immune system or preventing/encouraging the cancer from returning. If your outbreaks are more frequent and more debilitating it would make sense to consider using this medication.

Whether ones immune system is suppressed or not plays no role in a cancer returning. In truth, if one has been without a recurrence of the cancer they were diagnosed with for five years they are typically considered "cured" of that cancer. You are at the six year mark so...congratulations (from someone just about to pass her one year mark on breast cancer).

Gail

jane100 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate it so much. Its a kind thing you are doing by answering questions and offering advice and help and I wish you well on hitting your 5 year mark! It is amazing mine never came back, I feel very lucky and I send you many warm wishes.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.