Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

How Is It I have Herpes on my foot?
fazhion posted:
I have recently been diagnosed with having herpes on my foot and on my tummy! :crying: First off i dint know you could get it on your body aside from your mouth and or genitals!? And how is it that i dont have it on my genitals if this is a STD? I have been crying and feeling like i cant discuss this with anyone. I feel like my dating life is now out the window! Can i spread this to my family by showering? And how is it that i have it in two totally differ places? I need help my Dr. didnt suppply me with many answers!

kaisanan responded:
How were you diagnosed (did the dr do a culture of your tummy and your foot?) Did he "type it " to tell you if you have HSV2 or HSV1? Anywhere in the boxer short area is considered normal for gential herpes and you can spread it through sex, even though you break out on your tummy. (you 'shed" fromyour gential area). No, you cannot spread it by showering. Has your partner been tested?

fazhion responded:
He did a culture and then stitched me up. He never gave me anything typed up stating this and he actually had his nurse assistant give me my results when i went back to get my stitches removed! As far as my partner i havent been with my ex since august and i dint have a break out until november. We have recently started talking again to work on our relationship and i dont know how to ask him becasue if he test negative i dont want him to totally write me off! I havent had any outbreaks in my boxer area no itching and no pains i go to my gyno this week so she can check me out and let me know the status.

kaisanan responded:
Did he culture the foot? Stitched you up? (your foot?) Call and ask if your culture was "typed". If it was ot, go in and have a "type specific IgG" test to find out if you have HSV1 or HSV2 or both. the tummy is considered the boxer short area. You will want to tell your ex about this to so he can be tested (same test as above) to see his status (you can have herpes for years and years and not know). If he is negative there are precautions you can take so that it lowers his chance of being infected, and you want to go into a possible relationship being truthful - if he contracts herpes from you and you didnt tell him up front that is a tough position to be in.

fazhion responded:
He never did a culture on my foot because it was healed at the time i went about my tummy but i did tell him about my foot and he said he didnt believe that was the same case as my tummy so i let it alone until yesterday another bump appeared on my foot in the same place! From reading a little about hsv and how it appears in the same place each break out i am convinced that it is hsv also. I will call the dr today and ask if my culture was "typed" and as for my ex i just dont know how to approach the situation. With the prescription the dr wrote me for Valtrex do i have to take that everyday of my life?

kaisanan responded:
The next time you have a bump on the foot, have it cultured within 24/48 hrs. It's not real common and you could have a different infection going on. Whether or not to take medication is totally up to you. Some people take it daily to prevent outbreaks, some people dont have many outbreaks so they choose to just treat each one as it happens. It also depends on whether you have HSV1 or HSV 2 and whether your partner has it or not. If your partner does not have herpes, taking daily supressive therapy (valtrex or Acylovir, etc) can reduce the chance of them contracting HSV2 from you. here are the transmission stats: Let's say you have an infected female and an uninfected male. If they avoid sex during outbreaks, don't use condoms regularly, and don't take antiviral therapy every day, the risk of transmission is about 4% per year. But if you add condoms, it reduces transmission about about 50%, if she takes Valtrex 500 mg once a day, she can reduce transmission also by about 50%... so about 1% in a year. You can search under "telling a partner" for idea on how to tell him. Also, read the herpes handbook, link is in my signature.

rsj2328 responded:
I've recently been diagnosed with Herpes symplex 1 and 2, but I've never had an outbreak, well, the last fever blister I had must've been 20 years ago. But never on my genitalia that I'm aware of. I have however been having these blisters on the bottom of my left foot for the past 10 years or so, never knew what they were, but they have come and gone every summer. So this past month, I've had a pretty severe outbreak of these blisters on the inner arch of my foot, and after I was diagnosed I was complete disbelief and tormented about the whole thing, hmmm stress.. anyway, i talked to PA who gave my diagnosis and asked if this could be a possibility.. herpes on my foot..?? she said she had never heard of it but said i should go to a dermatologist and have it cultured. well right away the dermatologist said.. "hydrogynated eczema", which when googled said peeling of hands and feet. NOT what i have.. anywhoo.. waiting to find out the results.. i'll keep u updated.

lp130 responded:
rsj2328 - It's best to start your own discussion so others can more easily respond without confusing this thread. To do that, click on the orange Back to Topics List button on the upper right and, once you're on the Genital Herpes board, click on the orange Start Discussion button and go from there.

puzzled975 replied to rsj2328's response:
I get these same type blisters every summer. This year they seem to be worse. I was wondering if you ever got a clear diagnosis and hopfully a cure. Only occasionally do I get a blister on my feet during the winter but as soon as summer gets here and I start sweating they start to pop up,especially on the inner arches. They itch like crazy when my feet are hot and if I don't cool my feet off before too long they become mildy painful.Any feedback would be appreciated.

Burnsides responded:
It's probably Herpes Zoster, ( commonly known as Shingles). It's a non sexually transmitted form of herpes. It's the virus that causes Chicken Pox, which stays in your body when your Chicken Pox have gone away, but it can carry on causing outbreaks years later.

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.