Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes vs Staph
MIMMSGrunt posted:
I just recently went to the ER to get a lesion looked at in my groin area. At first glance the Doctor said it was Herpes. This isn't the first time I have had the lesion. It started in Aug of 2007. I was in training for Martial Arts over a 3 week cycle. They started showing up and I immediately went to see a Doctor. The Nurse that came in also took just one glance and said herpes. Being that I am 25 year old single male everyone seems to jump to conclusions about my sexual life style. All of the research I've done says that the two have extremely similar symptoms and often are misdiagnosed. The doctor I saw awhile back came in and was a little more open about what it could be. He mentioned Staph as being a possibility. he took a culture and told me to come back in a week. After returning to his office he told me that the results came back positive for both Herpes and Staph. he then mentioned that it is very possible for someone to have a false positive for Herpes. He treated me with oral meds for both Herpes and Staph so there is no real way of knowing which worked. the lesions come and go in about a 24 hour window with no meds taken and I've also been told that herpes will not just come and go in a 24hr to 2 day period without treatment. Is it possible to get a false positive on a staph test like the herpes test? How can I get someone to take this seriously enough for me to get a correct answer as to what the problem is, rather then just assuming based on the symptoms?

stressedout29 responded:
They have type specific blood tests that can test you for herpes. Ask your doctor to give you an IgG type specific blood test for herpes. HerpeSelect, BioKit, and the Western Blot are the best ones. Do not let the doctor give you an IgM because the results are NOT accurate.

Good luck and keep us posted if you have any other questions

betsyo1967 responded:
I'm assuming he did a lesion culture of your active symptoms ( well 2 different cultures - bacterial and viral ). If it came back as being hsv+ and also staph + then indeed you did have both. The cultures work by actually growing the virus out in the lab - no virus present and it won't grow. I think you need follow up on this for peace of mind and it also sounds like you still need to know if you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally. A type specific herpes igg blood test would be your next step.

It sounds like you have 2 separate issues going on though - a reoccuring staph infection as well as genital herpes. You also might even have something else going on too that is causing your symptoms that come and go in 24 hours - being active athletically means you get a lot of friction in the genital area as well as you get hot and sweaty - both of which can cause dermatological issues - most of which don't even need treatment besides a shower and proper drying off. Hope that all makes sense.

An_255003 responded:
I'm going through this right now! I went to planned parenthood for what I thought was razor burn. The doctor said it was staph and saw bumps inside. She said it was herpes. She did a culture and a blood test but I scheduled an appt with my primary doctor one week later and she said she was pretty positive it was just staph that spread inward. She still did a culture and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Can herpes results be mistaken for staph infection? Because like herpes, wouldn't the bacteria continue to grow?!

abe648 replied to An_255003's response:
If the Doc says it is herpes ask which type it is ie HSV 1or 2? If the Doc sounds like they are not sure which one it is get them to call the lab and have the culture typed so you know if it is hSV 1 or 2 genitally.

I do not have any knowledge on staph.

I would recommend that you start your own post about this. Go to the top and click on the "Post" and choose "discussions" that way we can help you with your specific problems.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.