Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Tightness in groin area
tdh6952 posted:
I've posted a couple times in the past week...but I need some feedback. Someone please respond! I've got tightness in what I feel is the lymph node on the right side of my groin (from my perspective). My new girlfriend told me she has genital herpes before we slept together which obviously has me paranoid. We did have sex almost one week ago and I wore a condom. She's had herpes for over 7 years and takes Valtrex daily. Continuing, I was very careful...but I also fingered her during foreplay and I've read that skin-to-skin contact is how people become infected. Could I have infected myself from fingering her?? I do know that a condom and her taking Valtrex is not a guarantee that I won't become infected...but what else could this tightness feeling in my groin be??? I know my anxiety is making things worse, so I'm trying to stay calm...but I am extremely scared! I did schedule myself to see my doctor ASAP, but I'm assuming a blood test or herpes exam (don't know the name of it) will produce any 'true' results so soon! Please help!!!

betsyo1967 responded:
it's easier for us if you just keep adding to your original post instead of making a new post each time you have questions - thanks! the odds of you contracting herpes from a one time protected encounter while she's on suppressive therapy are incredibly low. in fact on average it's 99% likely each year you WON'T contract hsv2 from her. tightness in your groin is not a sign of herpes. Sounds like your anxiety about all of this is getting the better of you. Your risk of herpes each year is the same risk of her getting pregnant if the only birth control you are using is the pill.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.