Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Genital HPV 1
buttrnut posted:
I am having my first outbreak of herpes. i went to the Dr on Monday because I had discomfort at the bottom of my vaginal opening close to the perineum. She thought that it was trauma but swabbed it anyway. The culture came back today as HPV 1. I'm not thoroughly convinced of this because of the severity of the outbreak ( on Lidocaine topical and Darvocet for pain). On Wednesday I went back to the Dr because of new developing areas of blisters and increasing pain. I feel like I have been split open in the perineal area and it is very infected. She has me on Doxycycline for a secondary infection. She swabbed the new areas this time but as of yet I don't have the results. I have asked her to do serology to type the HSV antibodies just to make doubly sure it's 1 and not 2. How accurate is the serology in determining HSV 1 and 2?

Is it possible to have BOTH 1 and 2 genitally? And why is this outbreak SO SEVERE? From what I've been researching HSV 1 is normally much less severe on initial outbreak. Could the swab results be wrong or could I have both based on the symptoms? I am hoping and praying that it's genital HSV 1 and not 2 because from what I've been reading the occurrences of outbreaks are less frequent and less severe. Does anyone have genial HPV 1 and if so for how long? How many outbreaks did you inititally experience and what was the recurring severity of each outbreak?

Also are there any products or remedies that you use to help speed up the healing process and relieve the pain of the blisters/raw areas? Such as soaking in Epsom salt bath? Any suggestions to help relieve the discomfort without becoming a pill popper would be great.

Thanks much.

betsyo1967 responded:
This is a chicken and the egg type situation at this point for you - did the trauma of the rougher sex trigger a herpes recurrence or did the trauma of the rougher sex leave you vulnerable to being infected with herpes. typically hsv1 is from oral sex - did your partner also perform oral on you lately? Can your partner recall a history of cold sores? Has your partner been tested for herpes at all yet?

If this is a newly acquired herpes infection for you, it won't show up on the blood tests yet. You had a lesion culture that came back as hsv1+, no reason to doubt that ( hpv is a totally different virus and please be careful when typing so as not to confuse folks )

why so severe? Well if it's a newly acquired infection it can really knock you on your butt unfortunately. It hurts like hell sometimes. If you have a bacterial vaginal infection further complicating things, just one more thing adding to your discomfort

hang in there - it will get better I promise!

Soaking in epsom salts in the tubby is wonderful. I also recommend using the lidocaine several times a day too. Oh and this really can hurt sometimes - don't not take pain medication just because you don't want to be a "pill popper". This will heal soon and you won't need the meds then.

buttrnut responded:
I believe the rougher sex caused me to be more vulnerable to the herpes as I was bleeding afterward. From what he said, he does not have herpes, but maybe he doesn't know himself. Yes he performed oral on me. When do you recommend having the blood tests performed? I would have been infected a week and a half ago at this point. Is it possible to have both HSV1 and 2? the epsom salt baths have seemed to help and i've figured out a new way to go pee so it doesn't hit the infected area.

Lalena907 responded:
I'm having the exact same problems as you! I'm still waiting for my test results to come back but my Dr. said hes almost 100% sure i have herpes. I'm really hoping its HSV 1 but its so painful and i feel so bad, im expecting the worst.

abe648 responded:
Her are some tips that will help you.

First Outbreak Helps

The first ob can be a doozy. What are you trying for pain relief? Don't hesitate to sit with an ice pack in between your legs too if you need to. Unless you have a medical reason not to - try alternating tylenol with ibuprofen for pain relief comparable to some narcotics - ie tylenol 1000 mg at 6 am, 600 mg advil at 9, tylenol at noon, advil at 3 am etc. Also look for dermoplast spray (the blue can for the genital area, (not the red can) or another topical anesthetic spray ask you pharmacist (Courtesy of Betsy1967)

Keep the affected area as dry as possible and wear no underwear (if possible) to let the air get at the area. The dryer that you keep the area the faster it will heal. When coming out of the shower use your hair dryer on a lower setting to dry the area so that way you do not have to rub it with a towel (Courtesy of NicoleRB)

Apply cornstarch by sprinkling it on to the affected area as cornstarch helps to keep the area dry. (Abe)

To decrease the itching at night and to get a good nights sleep take Benadryl before bed time to get that good nights sleep. (Courtesy of Alex 71194)

Finally if going to the bathroom is painful run water over the area, urinate in a tub or shower. All these help to dilute the acid in the urine.

If you have a lesion in an area that is causing a lot of pain and if it is so positioned that by putting a finger or two on it then put some thing on your hand and cover the area by pressing down and covering the area which will make it less painful to go to the bathroom. (Courtesy of Betsy1967)

To make you feel better as well bath in either Aveeno or Epson (sp?) salts to sooth your aching body. (Courtesy of Betsy1967)

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.