Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes on abdomen?
wondering2009 posted:
I've had herpes for 13 years (from an ex) but my husband doesn't. He recently had what kind of looked like a herpes OB on his lower abdomen! Right along where the top of his jeans rub his belly. It looked like a cluster of several blisters that did eventually ooze and then scab. Can you get herpes there? He's never had any sympotms anywhere else before. It lasted a really long time- a couple of weeks. I don't remember my OB lasting that long. Mine is luckily very mild. I have only had one very minor OB since my 1st one 13 years ago.

lp130 responded:
Anywhere in the "boxer short" area can constitute genital herpes. It's unfortunate he didn't get the area swabbed/cultured when he had active symptoms. At this point it makes sense for him to get a blood test anyway, to truly know his herpes status. He should request an IgG type specific blood test. The caveat is, if it was a primary herpes outbreak, it may not show on the test until 3-4 months from now, the time it takes for the antibodies to form.

wondering2009 responded:
Thank you for you reply. It's weird- I thought I knew everything there was to know about this considering all the reading I've done over the years... But I just couldn't understand how he could have it on his belly and not on his penis! Here's something else I've always wondered: Once you get your primary infection, can you get it somewhere else later? Like, if it's on his abdomen now, could he eventually have an outbreak on his genitals? I wish too that he would have gone to the doctor. I seem to be a lot more worried about it than he is! He feels that since he knew he stood a risk of getting this from me, and considering we've been together for 6 years, it's not a big shocker. Of course, I wish we could go forever without him getting this. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

lp130 responded:
The Herpes Handbook is a good resource as well for herpes info. Glad he's doing o.k. with it, that sure helps! :lightsmile:

wondering2009 responded:
I checked out the handbook. It's great!! There were several things there that I didn't know. Thank you so much. You're doing a good thing here!

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.