Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

herpes outbreaks all over body
TLB40 posted:
I have been dealing with an outbreak for 6 days, and my mouth and hand is almost healed, but I have an outbreak on the under side of my breast, too. I have never had one there. I think it may be spreading to my other breast, now. I wish I could just get a cold sore and be done with it, but I get it all over - hand, arm, roof of my mouth, lips, and now breast, too. I have been taking famvir since the first symptom, and I can't notice any difference. (I took Valtrex once and had really bad vertigo.) Is there anything else I can do? Topical? Should I try Valtrex again and make sure the vertigo was't just a one time thing? Help! I feel like a lepper!

lp130 responded:
This does not sound indicative of herpes. It does not just spread randomly around the body. How were you diagnosed as having herpes? Clearly you need to follow-up and be seen by your doctor (I'm assuming you've seen him/her recently?).

casanovamom responded:
been tested for shingles? get some beta dine soap. it will help with itching, irritation and put a topical film on the rash. small blisters on knuckles and all over mouth and if you have them on knuckles of toes could also be hand/foot/mouth disease. a thing like chicken pox. I of course am not a doc, I do know that beta dine will help if you're itchy until you get tested...

casanovamom responded:
oh, my doc had tried valtrex w/ me, it didn't work. I had to go back to acyclovir. just a thought of something to ask doctor...

TLB40 responded:
Unfortunately, I definitely have herpes. I had a lesion tested once. It is type 1, as if that matters. The lesion I had tested was a genital lesion. My outbreaks on my mouth have never been typical. I don't get a single "cold sore" looking thing. It is little bumps all over my upper lip, and then it always erupts on the roof of my mouth, too. I usually get itchy on my chin area, but you can't see anything. I also usually have something on my fingers. This is the first time it has shown up elsewhere on my body. Today it is now showing up on my right arm where bends at the elbow. I am pretty sure it isn't shingles because there isn't any pain - just itching. Shingles is very painful - my mom just had it. I appreciate everyone's responses. Maybe I will go see the doc and see if she can culture this. I am wondering if there is something wrong with my immune system since I can't seem to kick it. I wasn't even stressed out or menstruating when this started. It just makes me so mad!!

betsyo1967 responded:
It would be very unusual for shingles to show up on this many dermatones. I recommend seeing a dermatologist asap if you can.

do you recall what dose of valtrex you had taken previously?

Have you had the fingers cultured for herpes or just the cold sores and genital hsv1 and nothing else cultured?

TLB40 responded:
I only had the one cultured in the genital area. Nothing else. I, apparently, can't get in to see my primary care doctor today, so they want me to see someone else in the practice. I am not thrilled with the idea of another person knowing this about me. I don't know what to do, and I am sitting here crying.

betsyo1967 responded:
Do not accept a visual diagnosis if they feel these are herpes related or even shingles. insist on a lesion culture and typing.

It's very unlikely you have herpes on this many body parts let a lone reoccuring on this many body parts at one time. Nothing to be ashamed about - you have a rash that you need to get answers about - plain and simple!

TLB40 responded:
Thank you so much for replying. I am in a much better place now. I actually talked to my mom about it if you can believe it. She encouraged me to go to a dermatologist, so I made an appointment, but before I went, my regular doctor called me on my cell phone personally, and she prescribed a higher dose of famvir in case it is shingles. I am not convinced since it is still going strong, but she will see me Monday, and at this rate, the rash will still be there. I was really happy that she called me personally before she left town. Also, I found a friend who admitted to me that she had this, too. Her situation is similar to mine in many ways, and we talked for over an hour the other day. We work together right now, but we may not for much longer, but we both agreed that we have to remain friends since it is so important for us to have someone to talk to about this, and that is not something that is easy to find. I will ask for a culture, though. I still wonder if there is something wrong with my immune system. My lips had totally cleared up, but I am feeling tingly again, now. This is crazy!! Oh, yeah, and I started my period - BIG SHOCKER!!!

betsyo1967 responded:
shingles doesn't reoccur like this and it doesn't reoccur on this many dermatones as I already said. I think your provider doesn't know much about herpes or shingles

Jidderbug080889 replied to TLB40's response:
I HAVE the same thing right now..... To the tee... And my body dosent want to heal and tingelig all over and when it's not outbreak I still get the legions in my back and butt nd upper chest mostly.. I am having my second VERY bad outbreak... I have v1 and I have been tested twice by two different doctors .. but I am getting blisters everywhere ... And old scabs.. Are becoming open wounds again and I'm sore and tierd and I am already taking alot of "uppers" to keep me up durin the day... All perscription .... ! .. I'm just getting scared and I know my new boyfriend is wondering why I don't want to be anywhere near him .. No sores on my hands yet but they get red and tingely all over..... My dad seems to think I have lupus..... I get sick alot as well and yes my hands turn blue... HELP

Jidderbug080889 responded:
I HAVE the same thing right now..... To the tee... And my body dosent want to heal and tingelig all over and when it's not outbreak I still get the legions in my back and butt nd upper chest mostly.. I am having my second VERY bad outbreak... I have v1 and I have been tested twice by two different doctors .. but I am getting blisters everywhere ... And old scabs.. Are becoming open wounds again and I'm sore and tierd and I am already taking alot of "uppers" to keep me up durin the day... All perscription .... ! .. I'm just getting scared and I know my new boyfriend is wondering why I don't want to be anywhere near him .. No sores on my hands yet but they get red and tingely all over..... My dad seems to think I have lupus..... I get sick alot as well and yes my hands turn blue... HELP

sisterA replied to TLB40's response:
TLB40! I know it's been 4 years since you've posted this. But did you ever find out more about your condition? Did you find a good treatment for it? I'm having exactly the same thing as you. I used to just one or two cold sores, but ever since I got the flu shot two years ago -when i get an outbreak it takes over my lower lip, inside my mouth. I've had another outbreak and now i noticed a blister on my shoulder as well.

abe648 replied to sisterA's response:
See Betsy1967 comment above.

If you are having this much trouble then I would recommend that you go to this link

http://www.racoon.com/herpes/

and click on the "Find Herpes Friendly doctors"

That way you should be able to find a Doctor who knows what they are talking about and is knowledgeable in all kinds of herpes issues
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.