Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Western blot test confusion
jjs44 posted:
I have tested positive for genital herpes and want to get the Western blot test. Could you please help me sort out which is the correct Western Blot test to order.

At the original Herpes Home page I found, www.racoon.com/herpes/WB_test.htm

?Western Blot for herpes testing is now available through Quest Labs all across the US, if your doctor/clinic uses them for labs - test #34534.?

At QuestDiagnostics I found

HSV Western Blot (HSWB), Univ. of Washington Med. Center 34534N

CPT Code(s): 86694 -------------------------------------------------------- HSV WESTERN BLOT (HSWB) 34534

CPT Code(s): 86695, 86696

At the UW site, I downloaded the form for the Herpes Western blot. At the bottom of the form was CPT 84181.

I googled and found

86694. Antibody; herpes simplex, non-specific type test 86695. Antibody; herpes simplex, type 1 86696. Antibody; herpes simplex, type 2 84181. Protein; Western Blot, with interpretation and report, blood or other body fluid

In Good News about the Bad News, Terri Warren writes, "The Western blot looks at the individual proteins that make up the antibody to herpes, ...."

Two questions: 1. What is the correct test order with the >99% specificity? 2. How do i order that test from Quest?

Thanks so much for you patience and help.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.