Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes or a Staph infection? HELP
megz0404 posted:
Hello, I was recently on vacation and started developing something "down there". First it started with what seemed to be a UTI. I bought some AZO pills to ease the pain during uriniation, and drank plenty of water and it seemed to be pretty much cleared up. 2 days later, I started to get a burning sensation around my anus. I also had shooting pains through my butt, legs, and feet. On day 3 I checked to see what was going on down there. I have an area (probably 1-2 inches around) next to my anus, that looks like 10-15 small pimples, that are light colored on top (look like they might have a little pus). The whole area is very red and tender, and it hurts to sit. It does not itch at all. The muscles in my pelvic area, where my ovaries are, is also very tender when pushed on. I also have one pimple-like thing on my labia- it does not hurt, just itchy when touched. I do shave the area, so maybe I had ingrown hairs? Other than that, I wasn't feel any flu-like symptoms- no nausea, diarrhea, fever, etc. 4 day after this began I went to the Urgent Care Clinic because the UTI started to come back. I mentioned the area around my anus, and the burning feeling, but the doctor did not look. They did find a little bit of blood in my urine, and a bacteria (He asked me if I had ever been exposed to MRSA, because a small amount was found in my urine, as well as a bit of blood and white blood cells) He prescribed me Bactrim, 2x/day, for 7 days. He did not explain how a UTI could contribute to the bumps or rash feeling in the area, and he didn't really take a look. Now, 4 days after I saw a Dr, and 7 doses of Bactrim later, my symptoms seem worse. The bumps seemed to be open, because now it hurts when I go to the bathroom because the urine runs over them. Recently, it hurts a little when I pee. It's not the same terrible burning pain of a UTI, it's just a little painful to start peeing. I also find it hard to urinate-- I know that I have to go to the bathroom, but when I get there it won't come out---but it's not the same way this happens with a UTI, it's a different kind of pain. This morning I woke up at 5am with a migraine. I was also wrapped up in a thick blanket, but I could not get warm at all(chills?) I've been showering 2x/day and keeping the area very clean, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. I don't know if the two are related, but I'm really scared that the bumps could be herpes. I've been in a monogamous relationship for 9 months. Before this relationship, I was with a man for a year and a half. I did not have any sexual contact with anyone between these relationships. Both partners have never shown signs of an STD, but I know herpes isn't obvious until someone has an outbreak. I did have sex with someone 2 and a half years ago that I know had many partners before me. He did wear a condom, and we only had sex once, but it could still be a possibility. What do you think? Herpes?...staph infection?? If you think it's a staph infection-- could you please give more details. There isn't really any good info on the internet about staph infections around the anus. I know that it enters through an open wound-- I do shave my entire genital area- so it's possible that I had a very small cut. Could it have entered through urine or stool getting in the cut? Or does it sound like folliculitis?...It looks similar to some pics I found of folliculitis. (But it also looks similar to herpes. so I don't know) Do either of these cause really bad pain when the skin is rubbed together(when walking)...it hurts to walk, probably because it's been a week since I shaved, and the hair is growing back and iritating the bumps- but Advil seems to be working wonders:) I really want to see a Dr for this, but this is the best I can do for 12 more days:( So any help is very much appreciated. Thank You

betsyo1967 responded:
really there is nothing we can do for you at this point. you need to return and be seen again. no way around it.

megz0404 responded:
Thank You. My Dr appointment isn't for 11 more days, just looking for someone thoughts in the meantime.

betsyo1967 responded:
call them back and ask to be seen sooner if you think things are worse. there are limits to what an online forum can do and we really can't help much at this point.

nikki2985 replied to megz0404's response:
Did you ever find out what you had? I have had the EXACT same symptoms, i mean exact, and I have been terrified that it is herpes. I went to the doctor the other day and i was prescribed bactrim for the uti and she didn't seem to worried about the bumps. But they have gotten worse and spread. I am going to urgent care in the a.m. to see if I can find out anything else.

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.