Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

How can HSV1 be spread?
newmaria50 posted:
I just learned I contracted genital HSV1 from my someone during oral sex (he did not even know he had HSV1 but we both had blood tests and that was the conclusion). My doctor played it off like it was no big deal, but I'm still concerned. I'm not so worried about the physical aspects of it for me (my outbreak was pretty mild), but more concerned about what it may do to future partners.

If I am not having an outbreak, can I still transmit it? Through vaginal sex or oral sex? Is there medication I can take to prevent this? My doctor said I do not need medication if I'm not having any symptoms, but I'm more worried about spreading it to someone else.

jennieann32 responded:
How were you tested? So he has it orally and you have it genitally?

Read the Herpes Handbook (link in my signature). It's a great free source of information on HSV.

maya100 responded:
That is correct. he has it orally and gave it to me genitally. I did read the handbook & it helped me somewhat. I'm just wondering if I should be on medication for suppresion? My doctor said I wouldn't need to be on medication unless I had more outbreaks and wanted to be, but I would like to lower my risk of passing it to someone else. The person & got it from is not a serious relationship, and I know eventually I will have to tell a new partner about it, and am wondering exactly what I should tell him? Thoughts?

jennieann32 responded:
How were you diagnosed?

It is your option to be on suppressive therapy. If you do have frequent obs it is recommended because there is no reason you should have to stop your life for something controllable. You also have the option to wait until you get into a relationship with someone because it only takes a few days for the suppressive-ness to take effect. That way you're not spending money suppressing obs that don't happen and protecting someone that's not there. Acyclovir is a cheaper option to Valtrex. The suppressive dose is available at Walmart for $20. Valacyclovir (the generic to Valtrex) is due out in the states soon. There will probably be a lot of activity on the boards when it is out so you can look out for that.

As for telling a new partner, I'm going to put a link in that leads to a "Good Telling Partner" post. It has a bunch of stories of how people told partners, etc. You just have to be calm, patient, and educated. Be able to give him numbers as far as the risk goes but try to recognize if he's getting overwhelmed. He may need time to go educate himself and think things over. Other men are able to make a snap decision or have had experience with such things in the past that have formed their opinions already. Every situation is different. Every man is different.

jennieann32 responded:
Did you forget your password or do you just have two screen names? Or is it someone completely different than the original poster?

rachell21skeith responded:
hello ! Herpes can be acquired if the other person has an outbreak the same time of the contact but there are instances where herpes is developed through having contact with a person without an outbreak but has the virus in inactive form. The virus is transmitted through mucous membranes and through small breaks in the skin. Sexual contact is the most common way to transmit the virus. Oral herpes is spread through oral contact such as touching, kissing or sharing utensils with a person with an outbreak.

jennieann32 responded:
I forgot to post the link yesterday:

boards.webmd.com/webx?THDX@@.89d9fc07!thdchild=.89d9fc07

maya100 responded:
Jennie, Thanks for your input. yes, I am the same person- I forgot my username/password so created a new one. I was diagnosed by both a viral culture & igg blood test. I am hoping to get to a doctor that can give me more specific information- I want to know exactly my situation & the risks when telling someone.

jennieann32 responded:
Quick rundown bc I have dinner going. HSV1 genitally doesn't shed very often. We don't have the numbers that we have for type 2 but we know it is a lot less. 50% have an 2nd ob within a year and have one every year or every other year after that. the other 50ish% never have another ob again.

The Handbook has a lot more info than I could ever spew at you so I highly suggest you read it. I'll check back later and see if you have more questions.

Tabetha7399 replied to jennieann32's response:
Hi, I don't see a link to the handbook? Can I get it please? I have HSV-1 and so does my partner. And we are concerned at this point about if we can spread it to other places and exactly how careful we need to be. I had an outbreak and even though he already has the virus and mine was no longer blistered he was way to worried to even kiss me. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.