Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Thought it was Folliculitis
nyc08 posted:
I have always had problems shaving. I'm an African American female and so we are more prone to ingrown hairs in the bikini area. So when I got two pimples on my inner thigh a few weeks ago, I thought it had something to do with that. They were filled with pus, but something about them just difn't sit right with me. It wasn't like an ingrown hair. A week later I got another lump on my inner thigh, this one didn't look so much like a pimple, just a lump. I squeezed and no pus came out, just blood. So I went to the doctor. She said it's folliculities and recommended I do laser hair removal instead of shaving. I was relieved, but she said let's do some blood work just in case. I was tested for everything and I wasn't suppose to go back for the results until next week. So I forgot about it. I have final exams to do, I'm having a big birthday party this weekend. Then I get a call on Tuesday that I tested positive for HSV 2. I couldn't believe it. I was thinking you told me this was folliculitis. Then I became angry not only that it happened to me, but that she couldn't wait until my appointment next week to tell me. My concentration is so off. I had to write a 25 and 10 page paper this week, the last before I get my Master's and I have no motivation. In the meantime I'm planning this big birthday party, family and friends coming in town and I'm trying to pretend to be happy and excited. I just don't want to deal with this right now. I haven't had sex since January and I have had just two partners in the last year and we used condoms all except for one time. I don't recall any symptoms other than the last couple of weeks. . I suspect the guy from January is the one who gave it to me. He is suppose to be at my birthday party. I'm just disgusted right now, I'm depressed, but I can't show it. I have been working so hard to finish my Master's, I have put so much energy into this party and now I just want to go into a room and cry. I spent a lot of money on a fancy dress, I have been going to the gym religiously to show how fabulous 30 can look, d now I feel like such a fake, a farce, normal on the outside, poison inside. I have an ex boyfriend flying into town interested in us getting back together, I have no idea what I'm going to say to him. I am terrified of men right now and even more so of sex. I was raped at 14, got chlyamida from my first boyfriend at 16 and HPV at 27, which caused a big cervical cancer scare. This in spite of using protection and dating sparingly and not being anywhere near as promiscous as many women I know. I'm thinking about just being celibiate, because since having herpes increases your chances of having HIV, I really am not trying to chance it. My brother passed away of that ten years ago, and that is a huge fear of mine. I just had a lot to let out. I still have one more paper to write and dozens of family and friends to face tomorrow for my birthday. I will have to do my best acting job ever. I don't feel like I can truly deal with this until my doctors appointment on Tuesday, at this point I am praying that this is the worst of it. I can't truly deal with this diagnois until then.

jennieann32 responded:
How were you tested? If it was an IGM, disregard the results and go get retested with a type specific IGG blood test. HSV is really not a big deal. It's just a pesky skin condition. There is no reason to become celibate. Having HSV doesn't directly increase your chances of HIV. They caution that because the ulcers are an open pathway for the HIV virus to enter and the rule of thumb is that people don't always take precaution. You will be fine. I promise.

nyc08 responded:
Thanks, it's like I have moments when I forget about it, or even feel like I can deal with it. Then there are others when I'm just overwhelmed. I don't know what kind of test they used. They drew some blood and tested me for all STDs, that was Friday. I get a call on Tuesday that I came back positive for HSV2. My next doctor's appointment is on Tuesday, so I guess I will get more answers then. I am trying to just stay focused in the meantime on this paper and have as much fun tomorrow at my birthday party. I told my cousin, she is the only one that knows. I'm worried that I might drink too much (I'm not a big drinker) tomorrow and end up in a corner crying, but she promised to make sure that won't happen.

jennieann32 responded:
Like I said earlier, it's just a pesky skin condition (if I didn't, I meant to). Not a big deal. Ask your doctor what type of testing was used. Your paper is what is important. And as for tomorrow, add a little water or extra ice to your drinks if you're worried about getting a little tipsy. Carry it in your non-dominant hand. Or set yourself to a time limit (1 drink per hour). I'm all about tricks to minimize drunkenness. Some of my friends tend to drink to much and get me to drink too much so I know how to pace myself. Hehehe.

abe648 responded:
Welcome to the board and I am glad that you found this site. Gal take a deep breath and hold it in as long as you can exhale and RELAX OK :smile: I know that now is not a good time to be dealing with this but like Jennieann says you will be fine. Life will go on. Do you have one good friend that you can talk to or to your mom who will listen? I know you are 30 but mom will listen and will be there for you or a good friend that will be able to help you to get good perspective on life. Go ahead have that party and enjoy it as life will go on and there is someone who will love you regardless of even though you have herpes Do call your Doc and ask which test she used to test you for herpes. If it was an IgG blood test ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them on here so someone can confirm if you need any more testing. If you are infact positive then you should tell those partners that you have had recently so they can get tested to see if they have herpes to help stop the spread of it to someone else. Gal life will go on and you can have a normal sex life and remember to :smile: :smile: :smile: God Bless you. :smile:

nyc08 responded:
Thanks, its good to know I'm not alone. I'm trying my best not to dwell on it. Hopefully I will get more answers when I go to the doctor next week. I will keep you all posted.

abe648 responded:
Happy Birthday!! Enjoy that party and remember you only turn 30 once and it is party time. I am glad that you told your cousin so there is someone in your life that can sit and listen to you and help you through the tough times. Let us know what you find out next Tuesday. Post your new info to this post as it will pop right back up to the top of the board and someone can answer it and then all your info is in the one post. :smile:

nyc08 responded:
Thanks, I did make it through the birthday party and I had a great time, except for a minor meltdown in the ladies room. I see the doctor today, so I have a lot of questions and hopefully I will get a lot of answers. I am not feeling as sorry for myself. I have been doing a lot of research and I am realizing that life goes on. I have decided to tell the last guy I was with about the diagnosis, especially since he is who I suspect gave it to me. I plan to have that conversation sometime this week. I will post again after my dr visit.

nyc08 responded:
I went to the doctor. I had a IGG blood test, which was positive for HSV 2. The numeric results are 3.03. What that means I don't know. The doctor didn't know if I conracted it recently or not. She didn't want to give me any medication because I don't really have any symptoms. I asked about suppression therapy, and she said that I shouldn't take it unless I have an outbreak. SInce the medication has side effects, there is no reason to start taking daily medication if you don't have too. I'm interested in your thoughts on this. I am done feeling sorry for myself. It could have been a lot worse. I tested negative for HIV and that's themost important thing. Herpes may be a life sentence, but at least its not a death sentence. Also, I plan to tell my last partner about the diagnosis. We're meeting up tomorrow. I suspect I got it from him, but then again there is the chance I had it all along and put him at risk. All of these have me feeling very tense, because he has been a long dear friend who I love very much and regardless if our relationship move forward in a romantic or platonic way, I don't want to lose him in my life and I really don't know how he might react to all of this.

jennieann32 responded:
Having a positive result now tells us that you contracted the virus at least 3-4 months ago. Suppression therapy: The side effects are minimal if at all. I don't know of anybody that has really had any problems with them and I know that I didn't at all. I don't take daily meds because I've only had 1 ob and can't really afford it to prevent the obs that I don't even have. Doesn't make sense for me. But if I started having them 3-5 times a year, I would definitely get on it. It's your decision based off of how many obs you're having or if you're in a relationship and trying to prevent transmission to him/her. You're right...It's not a death sentence. Just a pain in the butt sometimes. Good luck with your partner tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. Read the Herpes Handbook for tips on telling a partner.

nyc08 responded:
Is it possible that I had it longer? I was just wondering because I've only had one partner in the last six months, so I was wondering if maybe it wasn't him. Also, I went to the student health center, and I don't get why they won't give me any medication. Especially considering the fact that medication is suppose to limit transmission. As far as I know, I've never had an outbreak, at least not what I've read as they symptoms. I was told the lump that made me go to the doctor was actually a swollen lymph node. I think I'm going to a regular doctor to see if I can get valtrex or something. I have read that anyone with a low positive under 3.5 should be re tested, should I pursue additional re testing? I'm not holding my breath for a false positive, but I suppose its worth a try, right?

abe648 responded:
Your I think you said 3.03 is quite a high result for an IgG blood test but apparently it should be 3.50 to 4.00 to be considered postive. You may want to consider additional testing in 3 months to see what your results are at that time. By that time you most likely would be positive. Does suppressive therapy work here is an excert from the handbook under the treatment section which in the last sentence talks about using suppressive for those who are asymptomatic. "The third use of the drug, for suppression of outbreaks (i.e., to prevent outbreaks from coming), is recommended for anyone who has frequent outbreaks, who is bothered by them, or who has an uninfected partner. Studies with these drugs have found that 80-90% of the people who take the drug for suppression have greatly reduced frequency of outbreaks or do not have outbreaks while taking the drug. The virus is still present in the body, and, after the drug is stopped, the outbreaks and shedding return to a normal level. "While the risk of asymptomatic shedding may be greatly reduced by the medication, it is not stopped altogether."" I hope that helps you.

jennieann32 responded:
It is possible to have had it longer. We just know that if you test positive now, you've had to have had it for AT LEAST 3-4 months because that's how long it takes your body to build up the antibodies that are actually tested for. But there's no way to carbon date it and give it a time frame of whatever the word is I want... Transmission I guess but that's not really the word I want.

Helpful Tips

how do you feel towards the ONE WHO GAVE YOU HERPES
Did you know that 90% of people living with Herpes, DON'T KNOW THEY HAVE IT . Thats a big number. So you just found out you have Herpes, ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 47 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.