Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Positive for HPV / Pap Negative?
cjtrainer1 posted:
I turned 30 earlier this year, and this time at the gynecologist, she tested me for both HPV and gave me a pap smear. She said the pap was normal but that I had "high risk" HPV. I'm sort of freaking out - she said not to worry, but how often does "high risk" HPV result in abnormal paps? Are the high risk types of HPV common too? She said to just go back in 6 months and that it might clear up? How long does that usually take? Also, any side effects from treating any abnormal cells found in a pap smear? Does it do anything like lower fertility? It might be necessary, but stripping away cells in that area doesn't sound so good.

SadeTorres responded:
AT THIS POINT YOU NEED TO FOCUS ON YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM!!! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME :crying: AND WORRYING.... IT DOESN'T HELP!!! AVOID SMOKING (DON'T SMOKE!) AND DRINK LESS... DRINK PLEANT OF WATER, DRINK WHEATGRASS JUICE DAILY, ALOE VERA JUICE, GREEN TEA OR HOLY TEA. IT ALL HELPS THE IMMUNE SYSTEM!!! EAT HEALTHY: BLUEBERRIES, BANANAS, CARROTS, SPINACH, ORGANIC MEATS, TROUT, SALMON AND TUNA. DO RESEARCH ON FOODS FOR THE IMMUNE SYSTEM AND EAT THEM.

mstt1 responded:
I too received the same results as you and was given the same info. It was a shock to begin with and to be told not to worry it usually disappears or that it may not show up when you are retested is not what you need to hear. There is worrying. It makes you wonder if all gyn doctors were told to give this as an answer. Unbelievable!!

alison0516 responded:
It sounds to me that your pap had to be ABnormal... in order to detect HPV, there has to be abnormal cells. There is no other way to detect it. It sounds like your pap probably showed you have "mild dysplasia" which is a mild abnormality of the cervical cells. This is very common. If this is the case, the standard protocol is to go back in 6 months for a follow-up pap. Gynos take mild dysplasia with a grain of salt because it usually clears up on its own, so that's why she probably didn't sound concerned. I hope your next pap comes back clear.... I had completely normal paps until November '08 when I was diagnosed with "severe dysplasia" and had to have a LEEP preformed. My follow-up last month showed the dysplasia was back, so I have to have another follow-up in September. I'm terrified. This is very rare though. ANYWAY, you should probably call your doc for confirmation and peace of mind. Good luck! I hope this helped....

Teacher514 responded:
I actually tested positive for HPV but had negative pap results as well. My doctor wanted to preform a colposcopy, which he did. I got the results back and it turns out that I have "rare atypical cells." I have to go back in 3 months to keep a close watch on it. I was told though that it's very common and that it can go away on its own.

curiousone12345 responded:
Twenty-five years ago I had 2 abnormal paps (dysplasia) and the doc use freezing to fix them. Fast forward 25 years of normal paps, same partner (my husband), and neither of us has ever cheated. Today I got the results of my latest test: positive HPV and normal pap. The doc said not to worry and to come back in a year. No mention of a colposcopy. Any opinions?

chekai responded:
Maybe the abnormal pap twenty five years ago was hpv and it was dormant until now? I heard it can do that. I have been researching because I found out today that I have it.

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.