Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Do blood banks screen for Herpes
regretfully_sad posted:
I need to know if blood banks screen blood for herpes? I recentely found out that my ex boyfriend has herpes. I got tested about 1 year ago for STD's and came out negative. I donated blood about six months ago and am concerned whether I have herpes.

jennieann32 responded:
Blood banks don't screen for HSV because it is not a blood-borne disease. It requires genital-oral, genital-genital, or oral-oral skin contact. Do you know how he was tested? Do you know what type he was diagnosed with? Standard STD panels do not include HSV so even when you were tested, you probably weren't tested for HSV. You should go get a type specific IGG blood test done to find out your status.

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.