Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Miserable and Sad with Herpes
mrsmikusmommy posted:
Settle in becuase this is a LONG story...Last week I started having itchyness and burning in my vagina. I thought it was a yeast infection so I bought the Monistat 3 pack and used it Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Monday morning I woke up and just did not feel right. The symptoms were not clearing up and the pain in my vagina was now accompanied by small blisters. I made an appointment right away to see the gyno. He examined me and did the cultures. He said it was most likely herpes and gave me a presricption for Valtrex and sent me to the labs for blood work. Based on the reasearch I have done on my symptoms, I KNOW its herpes. I have to wait the 5 days now to find out what type. In early 2002 I had a very painful rash and open sores on my bikini area. I went to the doctor who told me it looked like herpes but did the cultures and blood tests and then after 3 days (which I spent hysterically crying) she called me back to say it was not herpes but a staph infection. After this I literally became a hypochondriac and would read up about every STD possible and went back to that doctor atleast 3 more times to get all sorts of blood work done. I basically made myself crazy over having an STD. Then in 2005, I actually got one. I was so paranoid that I was used to periodically checking myself for bumps or sores. I was in the shower when I felt a small, hard bump. Once I looked at it with a mirror I saw one small white bump. I immidiatelty went to the gyno who diagnosed it as genital warts and removed it. Since then I have not have any other genital warts or abnormal pap smears. I was also given the first round of the Gaurdisil HPV vaccine but never when back for the 2nd or 3rd shot. After this I started dating someone who I knew slept around alot. One day his ex-girlfriend sent him a text message saying he had herpes but when I confronted him he said she was crazy and just trying to make me break up with him. I never had any symptoms during my time with him and neither did he. I sometimes used to get a fishy smell in my vagina but he said it was beucase I was probably allergic to his sperm?!?! In 2007, I reunited with my high school boyfriend and we got married. I then noticed that HE had genital warts which he got removed but have since come back. In July of 2008 we had our first child. I had a wonderful pregnancy and did not have ANY genital warts or signs of herpes. I did not even obsess over random STD's as I had in the past and even laughed at myself for being so paranoid. Now, back to this week where it seems I DO have herpes as I always feared. I am wondering if that initital rash in 2002 was misdiagnosed as staph infection and was actually herpes??? Reading the symptoms I can recall having some over the last few years but nothing compared to what I have now. I have small white blisters that are excrutiatingly painful and swollen glands in my groin. My husband does not now nor ever had herpes symptoms but does have the genital warts still.

Will a blood exam show if he has herpes? Will we both continue to get genital warts and herpes? What does this mean for my 6 month old baby? We want to have more children, will the herpes affect me? I know we will need to have protected sex. I am also planning on continuing the Valtrex as suppresive therapy. What can I do to alleaviate the blisters until the Valtrex kicks in? I am in so much pain with the blisters and burning and itching. I am distraught and miserable. I have been crying for 2 days. I am trying to be strong for my baby as I do not want her to see me sad but I can't control myself. I feel certain that the guy I was dating gave it to me but ofcourse can not go accusing him or even tell him becuase like most people he will deny he has anything at all. My husband is being supportive but I am depressed that our marriage will suffer from this. Please help! I am considering taking St. John's Wort for the sadness. Is this safe to take while breastfeeding?

abe648 responded:
First Outbreak Helps

The first ob can be a doozy. What are you trying for pain relief? Don't hesitate to sit with an ice pack in between your legs too if you need to. Unless you have a medical reason not to - try alternating tylenol with ibuprofen for pain relief comparable to some narcotics - ie tylenol 1000 mg at 6 am, 600 mg advil at 9, tylenol at noon, advil at 3 am etc. Also look for dermoplast spray (the blue can for the genital area, (not the red can) or another topical anesthetic spray ask you pharmacist

Keep the affected area as dry as possible and wear no underwear (if possible) to let the air get at the area. The dryer that you keep the area the faster it will heal. When coming out of the shower use your hair dryer on a lower setting to dry the area so that way you do not have to rub it with a towel (Courtesy of NicoleRB)

Apply cornstarch by sprinkling it on to the affected area as cornstarch helps to keep the area dry. (Abe)

To decrease the itching at night and to get a good nights sleep take Benadryl before bed time to get that good nights sleep. (Courtesy of Alex 71194)

Finally if going to the bathroom is painful run water over the area, urinate in a tub or shower. All these help to dilute the acid in the urine.

If you have a lesion in an area that is causing a lot of pain and if it is so positioned that by putting a finger or two on it then put some thing on your hand and cover the area by pressing down and covering the area which will make it less painful to go to the bathroom.

To make you feel better as well bath in either Aveeno or Epson (sp?) salts to sooth your aching body.

I will try and give you more info tomorrow. Cheer up and be thankful that you husband supports you. Also all you need to do to protect your baby is to wash you hands with soap and water after going to the bathroom or touching your genitals. Soap and water kills the virus. If you do this your baby will be fine.

Cheer up and God Bless your family

Read the Heroes Handbook as per my signature line.

luvsgreen responded:
This actually helps soo much.

I too was recently diagnosed, on Monday to be exact, with the herpes virus. I was so scared when I went to see the doctor and was crying the whole time. You don't think that you could be one of the people to catch the virus, as common as it may be.

I've been looking for ways to relieve the pain, because I literally have to hold my breath, and lean forward when I go to the bathroom because the pain so excruciating.

Some of my questions are how long does it take for the symptoms to go away?How long should I wait after I've healed to have sex again? What should I do if i have a one of the blisters(or sores) on my finger?( I had a cut on it and when I was examining myself I think it spread and got into the cut.) I don't exactly live on my own yet and I don't want my parents to find out that I have it, so how should I keep it quiet? Does the medicine show up on insurance bills?

I find it hard to focus on anything else, I'm trying to think and talk about other things but being diagnosed is the only thing that has been on my mind.

abe648 responded:
luvsgreen, I am glad you found this site and it is proper not to post on someone else's post unless you are offering help or advice. I would ask that you copy and past your post by going to the top of the board and clicking on "Start Discussion" and then you willl have your own post and we can respond to your specific concerns as you have distinct questions which can then be answered.

abe648 responded:
You can have herpes fpr years and have no symptoms and in your case if you do have herpes you could have had them in 2002 or your last bf that said he did not have them. If you infact have herpes then do not beat yourself up over when or where you got them. Just get on with life. You have a husband who is supportive of you and a new baby and that is the main thing to remember that you can go on and have a great life even with herpes.

Just because your husband does not have any symptoms does not mean he does not have herpes. He may or may not have herpes. The best thing is to get him to get a herpes specific IgG blood test for HSV 1 and HSV 2 so he knows his status.

To help you more both you and your husband should ask for a copy of your numeric test results from the blood test and post them on the board so we can help you figure out who has what and where do the two of you go from here forward. And do either of you need any more testing.

I cannot comment on the warts but I would recommend that you post on the Gential Warts/HPV board to get answers for that.

In regards to if you have herpes then you may want to consider some type of suppressive therapy if your husband does not have gh. That will help to decrease his risk of getting gh from you.

In regards to your baby like is said last night as long as you wash your hands with soap and water after going to the bathroom or touching your genitals you will not transmit it to your baby. Soap and water kills the virus outside of the body. The virus does not live long outside of the body either. If your baby is healthy like she sounds then she is ok. Not to worry about her. If you are breast feeding then it is ok to breast feed and also take some type of anti virals at the same time and it will not harm the baby.

Since soap and water kills the virus it is ok to do all of your laundry together. No need to seperate your laundry.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Now cheer up and

mrsmikusmommy responded:
I'm trying to be as positive as possible but the sores hurt SO much that its hard to forget that its actually happening to me. Thanks for the advice! I know tons of people have this and live with it. The only good thing I can think of is atleast I know and am taking meds. There are tons of people that probably also have it and are not doing anything about it.

abe648 responded:
The sores will get better and in time you will be ok. Hang in there and keep a positive outlook and let us know what your numeric test results are from the blood test so someone can help you confirm if you have herpes and if you need more testing.

If they tell you that they took an IgM blood test disregard the results of this test as it is not a reliable test to confirm if you have herpes or not. The test you should have gotten is a herpes IgG blood test.

Hang in there and remember to . Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone. Wipe those tears from your eyes and stay positive. Talk to someone about this. If your husband will listen then talk to him if not then talk to a good friend who will keep your personal details to themselves.

erosb responded:
I am not an expert on this or anything but my first breakout was terrible. and i asked the doctor if there was a cream or anything that would help and they said no. but I found out that baby powder helps it keep it dry and helped me with the pain. so maybe see if that help you at all

Hopenfaith responded:
If you do exactly what I tell you to do you will get fast relief and you will be able to control your outbreaks. FIRST, STOP USING ANY TYPE OF WET WIPES IN YOUR GENITAL AREA. NEVER scratch or rub the area, not even through your clothing. Keep the area clean by taking baths and dry by using a blow dryer on a low setting. Use Benadryl cream for the itch and the most important item you will need is Buddy's Oil you buy it online and it is a miracle oil. You will never need to do another thing and this makes herpes manageable and gives you your life back. Feel better soon and may God bless you and your family.

Hopenfaith

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 40 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.