Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

All over body itching
hopeful197212 posted:
Does anyone else have all over body itching associated with an outbreak?

Terri_Warren_RN_ANP responded:
I know you are concerned about your herpes but this is the fourth posting in two days about your symptoms. Did you have a low positive? Did you confirm these results? I think until you confirm the results, you really need to stop being this concerned that all of your symptoms are herpetic.

Terri

hopeful197212 responded:
Thank you Terri. I am being retested as it was a low positive..however I've asked this question and a few others in ONE initial post nobody answered. Thus me reposting. I'm not freaking out but I'm asking if anyone else has it..if they don't then it is one thing I can rule out since dr.'s don't seem to know these days.

hegotme80 responded:
Oh my gosh...so Im not crazy!!!! I have been itching all over my body, too (mainly my back thigh, my ankles and my behind). I just found out today that I have HSV-1. I did not want to believe that this was a symptom, but I guess it is. Out of all the symptoms I have researched, I never saw itching all over.

betsyo1967 responded:
All over body itching is not associated with genital herpes. please keep in mind that it's entirely possible for more than one thing to be going on at one time. As terri already said - not everything is due to herpes.

hegotme80 responded:
OK, Im not saying that all over body itching is definitely a symptom or that it has some direct association with herpes, but I do find it interesting that somebody else has experienced the same thing that i have and is thought to possibly have hsv as well. I have had numerous test (blood, urine and cultures) performed on me and there is nothing else wrong with me. So, what do you suppose this all over itching is that we have experienced?

hopeful197212 responded:
I'm told by my Derm. that it is eczema and I'm being treated for that. There are many different stages and forms of it. Some that don't even show any visible signs, as i have no rash, no red marks and not constant itching. Mine is where I feel like something bit me real quick, real quick itch and its gone and on to the next spot. It is never continuous itching. Plus mine is all more on the upper extremeties where it sounds like yours is lower. I also can tell you that I really really doubt HSV1 would cause this, but ya know, I just think this is also a disease they are constantly learning about

pc3366 responded:
My doctor told me that i have genital herpes and that the itching of all the body is not related with genital herpes, notwithstanding that , i have noticed that i have all over my body itching, arms, eyes, hands, back and i feel is related to the same issue, because it starts with the itching in my genital area. I dont know what is about but I think is more than a coincidence that you have the same symptoms.

fetbuzzy responded:
I have this as we speak! I was diagnosed about a month ago with HSV2 and really havent gotten things under control yet. My first outbreak was horrible, I could hardly walk and Im a very healthy 44 year old female (Athletic etc) HOWEVER I was under tremendous stress for a long time and thats what brought it out I guess. My husband of 2 years and I have no idea who "had it" as niether of us ever even knew we were carrying...anyway Ive taken two courses of Valtrex (5 day and 7 day)which helped but a day or two after I would stop Id start itching in my genital and butt area all night and keep me awake. So it felt like another outbreak or leftover itching from last one or something...who knows...Anyway I called the Dr yesterday and they said go on 1 Valtrex a day for the next month to supress it. Well today I woke up noticing lesions and still itching, so they told me to take 2 valtrex a day for a week then switch to 1 a day for a month. TONIGHT I STARTED TO ITCH EVERYWHERE!!! Im sitting here with the itching jumping around from place to place, my eyes, lip, fingers,feet, back, arms, nose, chest...kind of quick jumpy itch that pops up and then leaves for a different spot. I KNOW ITS THE HERPES! ITS MY NERVES...Its a different itch than say poison ivy its more of and electrical impulse quick shot kind of itch. or like I have ants crawling on me. I feel a little freaked out about it to be honest. I remember the Dr said that sometimes there is something called Neuropathy or somethng that the nerves are still jumping related to outbreaks of the virus. I dont know...I hope it passes its weird and scary and I dont like it!

betsyo1967 responded:
peripheral neuropathy does not happen all over the body like this from herpes.

A phone call won't cut it - you need to go and be seen. Be sure to be tested for yeast and bacterial infections genitally too - both are very common with a doozy of a herpes ob.

The proper dose for the 1st ob with valtrex is 1gm 2x/day for 7-10 days. Did you initially treat your herpes with that dose?

At this point I"d stop the valtrex just in case you are having a reaction to something in it. Give your doctor a call or go to a local walk in clinic or the ER if things continue to itch all the time. It also will not hurt to take some benadryl too to stop the itching you are having.

Has your hubby been tested yet to see what his status is so that you know if transmission is an issue or not?

will_sun responded:
Yes I also have all over body itching, without an outbreak, and it drives me crazy. Do not worry you are not alone. I had one outbreak (one lesion) and since then only rough chafy skin on my genitals. In the last two months however i have had itching on my nose, face, upper and lower exremities, neck, chest. It is worst at night for some reason. But it continually itches from time to time during the day. I am at my wits end. There has to be some medical solution to this. I was tested for HSV-2 around 3-5 months after the lesion and I was negative. Could this have been a false negative? Regardless, I am suffering from major itching, including the gental area, where it feels like there is a bug crawling or a strong sting that goes away immediately. On my face, it feels a small hair that is on my skin, that ithces, but there is never anything there. I am very concerned about this being contagious to others like the common cold: I have noticed coworkers scrating their noses regualrly and for no apparent reason just like I had been doing when all of this started. Help!

hostage911 responded:
your not going crazy i itch all over and i think i have herpes.i,ve been to the docter before and he told me that i did not have herpes and they never did a bloob test.until i got on this web site i still did not think i had it.the reason i got on this site is because i itch i have little bumps on my sack that look like little pimples, and my girl fried and daughter itch.if the docters could not tell that i have this disorder then something has to be done adout the way they test and treat this .also what is the difference between herpes and varicella-zoster because during some of my resurch i found that thay can have some of the same symptoms?how do you know what you have.also after going to the docter i started getting a rash on my forehead that wont go away. i should also mention that when i was going to the docter i had no isurance and i think that is why he looked me over and said there was nothing wrong with me. also he said his sack looked just like mine.

lp130 responded:
Thinking you have herpes serves no purpose. You can get a blood test at this point to determine your herpes status. But realize even if positive does not mean your symptoms are herpes, as all over body itching is not at all typical of herpes.

Varicalla Zoster is a completely different, causing chicken pox and shingles, unrelated virus to HSV.

If you don't have insurance, you can go to a Planned Parenthood or seek a clinic that charges by ability to pay.

waffle66 responded:
OH MY GOD!! I'm 21, I was diagnosed with HSV-2 about 2 months ago. My initial outbreak was freakin horrible, i couldnt move around a lot. but anyways, after my 10 day round of valtrex, i noticed the same body wide itching that you all are describing, and now I'm walking around scratching mostly my arms , legs, back, stomach and even my face and scalp. my skin tends to get blotchy when i get these episodes of intense itching. When i try to resist scratching, my skin itches more and almost stings. Hell, I'm itching right now. I'v taken Benadryl thinking that I was allergic to something, and it does seem to help for a while but the minute it wears off I itch yet again. I hav noticed that it gets worse and occurs more frequently at night. Everytime I've mentioned it to a Fam member they look @ me like I'm going crazy...I think this is associated with the H, bc I wasnt like this before. I've been itching EVERYDAY since the end of my first OB. HELP ME!!!!

betsyo1967 responded:
you need to go and be seen by your provider or a dermatologist. assume nothing and go find out what is going on.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.