Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

can HSV-1 turn into HSV-2?
snogirl22 posted:
I have herpes type 1, can that be turned into herpes type-2 over time? I have only had one outbreak that I know of, and that was when I first contracted it three years ago. I have a new boyfriend who does not have it, but knows that I do. We have sex but always use a condom. Does the condom have to be latex, or can it be the alternative animal skin ones? We use the Skyn by Lifestyles because I heard that using latex too much can cause an allergy to it. Does the alternative one still protect him from contracting the virus? What are his chances of getting it even though we always use a condom?

lp130 responded:
No. Two different HSV viruses. One can't turn into another. Any type condom is fine. Do you have oral HSV1 or genital HSV1? Has your boyfriend been tested? There have been no studies on HSV1 transmission rates, however here are odds based on female to male transmission of genital herpes. FEMALE TO MALE RATE OF TRANSMISSION (HSV2 ONLY STATS IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR HSV1) If you have 100 couples where the female has HSV2 but not the male (these figures are over a year) the odds of female to male transmission are, if you do nothing other than avoid sex during an outbreak, 4 men out of a 100 will get herpes in a year, or 4%. If you do go on a suppressive therapy then it drops to 2 men out of a 100 in a year, or 2%. And if you use suppressive and a condom the chances are 1 man out of a 100 will get herpes in one year or 1%. The Valtrex and transmission study stats are based on having sex 2 times/week.

snogirl22 responded:
it is genital, not oral. He has not been tested, should I have him go? We have not, and do not plan to, have sex without a condom.

betsyo1967 responded:
most definitely you need your partner to get tested to know his own status! You can't even begin to make decisions about what precautions to take or what his risk is until you know who has what. Also if your partner has hsv2 and doesn't know it, he can transmit that to you so knowing his status is doubly important in your relationship.

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.