Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

No outbreaks..tested twice!!
confusedgirlCT posted:
Hi all, I first just wanted to say thank you to all the ones out there helping people like myself, who are newly diagnosed and have noone to talk to ....It is greatly appreciated!!

so my story, a brief summary....routine gyno check up...tested for STD's and HSV2 came back positive....no outbreaks, symptoms ..nothing....completely shocked!!!! That is when I turned to these message boards for some advice...and I also wanted to get retested as well....

So I got another IGG blood test and asked for my numerical value..and it came back as 3.36 for HSV2....

Now here I am coping with this, still havent told anyone, still dont know where I got it, and dont know how long I've had it since I never had an outbreak. My doctor told me, I may never have an outbreak if I havent had one yet....who knows..!!

It is so hard to face the fact that I have herpes antibodies in my blood but never had "it" ...I dont know what to expect or how to explain it to a future partner...I dread that day!!!

And is it possible to have HSV2 on my mouth? or is vaginal? I never had a lesion either place..

I am mortified! and feel like noone will understand my situation when I give them the choice to be infected or not if we have sex............ This really stinks!

I also gained 7 pounds cuz I've been really really depressed, I find myself not caring about the way I look cuz I feel not wanted or attractive and awkard...UGH WHY ME???

I'm at the point in my life where I want a family, and this just makes it 10x harder to find someone! I wouldn't be surprised if I end up growing old and alone.....

Please help severely depressed!

starzz21 responded:
Oh my god I know how you feel. I'm crying my eyes out as I write this. I haven't told anyone either, not my parents, family, friends. And the worst part is, I've been dating the greatest man in the whole world for 7 months now and I just dont know how to tell him...

It's ok to be depressed, I dont know how you couldn't be...but you know what? I've been reading these boards for a few days now for advice and someone had posted something that seems so true, Herpes is just a skin condition. It just happens to be one that people head for the hills after hearing it.

Have you gotten on any medications yet?

confusedgirlCT responded:
Yea it is a skin condition...but something with a negative connotation attached to it......I've been trying to come up with new term to call it...cuz herpes sounds plain awful!!

And no i havent gotten any medications because I've never had an outbreak...so there really is nothing to treat....I just dont understand how some people can have many outbreaks and some dont have any...the ones that dont have any ...are we less contagious than the ones that do??

abe648 responded:
confusedgirlCT Could you call your Doc and ask what the first numeric test results were for HSV 2?

At present you are a low positive for HSV 2 but not quite considered positive for HSV 2. Did you have a partner recently like say 2-3 months ago? Once you can post the first numeric value we can give you further direction.

All is not lost life can go on and you can live laugh love and be intimate again. Herpes is not the end of world or your sex life. There are understanding people who will love you for who you are. Herpes is just a small bump in the road of life and it is manageable.

Just because you do not have any out breaks does not mean you are any less contagious. That is the funny thing about herpes. People can have herpes for years and have no symptoms like you and still infect others.

If you have a partner then your partner needs to get a "type specific herpes IgG blood test to see what there status is. If you have had a partner recently they should be tested with the same test that i outlined to you so they know what thier status is.

If you have a partner you can cut the chances of transmitting it to a partner by taking an anti viral. suppressively. If you do not have a partner then no need to take them right now but once you do become sexually active again you can take anti virals to help decrease the chances of spreading. When you do get a new partner make sure that both of you go and get STD/Herpes testing done so both of you know what each of you have.

Please get your intial tests so we can see what the numeric results were from the first test and answer any other questions.

To learn more read the Herpes Handbook as per my signature line.

abe648 responded:
starzz21 Please start your own discussion and post any test results so we can help you specifically in your own discussion.

Just go to the top of the board and click on the "Start Discussion" and post your details. Thank you.

abe648 responded:
starzz21 Please start your own discussion and post any test results so we can help you specifically in your own discussion.

Just go to the top of the board and click on the "Start Discussion" and post your details. Thank you.

abe648 responded:
confusedgirlCT

First of all HSV 1 orally is not an STD but if you have it then there is a chance that you could give someone oral sex and transmit it to their genitals via oral to genital contact. So it is good to know if you have HSV 1 as well. If you have only been tested for HSV 2 then you should get a "type specific IgG blood test for HSV 1" so you know what your HSV 1 status is as well. Just like HSV 2 you can have HSV 1 and have no out breaks. Approx 60% of the general population has HSV 1 and most do not know it.

Oral sex from an uninfected partner could put them at risk depending on what their status is and I cannot really give you specific details tell you have a partner and know what their HSV 1 and HSV 2 status is. Oral sex can still be had but I cannot give specific directions and possible exposure till you have a partner and know what thier status is.

Transmission rates are the same if you have had an ob or do not have an out break. Here are the chances of infection from a female to a male.

FEMALE TO MALE RATE OF TRANSMISSION (HSV 2 ONLY STATS IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR HSV 1)

If you have 100 couples where the female has HSV 2 but not the male (these figures are over a year) the odds of female to male transmission are if you do nothing other than avoid sex during an outbreak 4 men out of a 100 will get herpes in a year or 4% If you do go on a suppressive therapy then it drops to 2 men out of a 100 in a year or 2% and if you use suppressive and a condom the chances are 1 man out of a 100 will get herpes in one year or 1%.

The Valtrex and transmission study stats are based on having sex 2 times/week.

msmith222 responded:

I teared up when I read this. I am so sorry. I feel like I can relate to your story. I just took a blood test a couple weeks ago and found out I have herpes 2 but I have never had an outbbreak though. I did get symptoms though such as muscle soreness around the groin area and I did get pain down there but no actual cold sore. My dr. told me it was nothing, but I have a hard time believing it. Anyway technically I've never had an outbreak. I'm also at the age where I want to start a family soon and I don't even have a boyfriend! What the heck am I supposed to say when it comes down to having sex?? "Oh by the way, I have herpes" I'm devestated. I won't even tell my best friend. This was NOT supposed to happen to me! I just feel like I'm not going to be able to have sex in a long time because I don't want to have the conversation with a partner. I hope I get over this. Don't worry, your not alone I promise.

abe648 responded:
msmith222 I urge you to start your own discussion on this site so we can help you confirm that you have been properly tested and to make sure that you infact have herpes. If in your new post you could tell us how you were diagnosed as having herpes and if it is HSV 1 or HSV 2 genitally that would be good for starters.

Yes I know this sucks!! I am a 29 girl and apparently living with genital herpes....I was diagonosed in July and now its Nov....still no outbreaks..no medication...and still no boyfriend and no sex.. honestly...i'm just sooo over it! I still havent told anyone, and I've actually decided not to... I dont know why this happened to me, and I just try not to think about it..

I will not try to date anyone that is remotely close to my family or friends or workplace....This is something personal that I refuse to share with anyone besides this online support group!

I dont know if I will ever muster up enough confidence to tell a potential partner..so I find myself shutting people out! I

abe648 responded:
confusedgirlCT From reviewing your posts I see that you are a low postive and that you need additional testing to confirm your status. We recommend that you get the Western Blot test done to confirm your HSV 1 & HSV 2 status. Info on the WB is in the Herpes Handbook and I believe some of the labs now do them as ewll and not just the U of Washington.

Until you get this done you cannot say for sure that you do have HSV 2. What was your HSV 1 numeric value? If you have that could you post that as well. You need to confirm with the WB test to see if you have HSV 1 or HSV 2.

I would also recommend that you Google or Yahoo "herpes support groups" and see if there is one in your area and get in touch with them so they can help you if in fact you are HSV 1 or HSV 2 positive. They can help you as they have been where you are now.

Finally if you are HSV 1 or HSV 2 positive then you need to tell any partners you have so they can decide for themselves. There is someone who will love you uncondtionally. Life will go on and you can move forward.

God Bless You

Hi Abe!!

Well..I was tested twice ..first test was an IGG test HSV-1 neg....and HSV-2 pos...there was no numerical value attached to the first test....The second test was an IGM HSV-1 neg and HSV-2 pos with a numerical value of 3.55...so what does that mean?? I obivously have HSV 2 if I was tested twice, right?? What would the Western Blot do differently?? Do you think its worth it for me to re-test??

I was diagonsed in JULY and it is now November...still no outbreaks...nothing unusual..just a whole lot of depression and self-pity!!

BTW...you are an angel!!! Your wise words are greatly appreciated!!

unknown responded:
The WB looks at more parts of the body's igg response to herpes infection than other tests do. we recommend it as a confirmatory test for anyone who has had a + hsv2 igg blood test and thinks they haven't had any symptoms ever. Your doctor would never diagnose you as having cancer based on 1 test so why diagnose you as having herpes based on 1 test that has a known false positive issue to it?

If you were + on an igm test, you need to totally disregard those results. The igm herpes test is greatly flawed and shouldn't ever be ordered on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes.

unknown responded:
The WB looks at more parts of the body's igg response to herpes infection than other tests do. we recommend it as a confirmatory test for anyone who has had a + hsv2 igg blood test and thinks they haven't had any symptoms ever. Your doctor would never diagnose you as having cancer based on 1 test so why diagnose you as having herpes based on 1 test that has a known false positive issue to it?

If you were + on an igm test, you need to totally disregard those results. The igm herpes test is greatly flawed and shouldn't ever be ordered on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes.

bf123 responded:
I'm in almost the exact same situation as you, just found out, never had an outbreak. i don't know what to do. I want to just ignore it but that's not the right thing to do. i feel like this is going to impact the rest of my life, even if i never feel a single physical side effect. it's not fair. i feel your pain.

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.