Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Exposed to herpes????? Help!!!
An_208546 posted:
Every year when I go get my annual peps mere I request a full STD testing. It?s just routine for me. The nurse called me and told me I have been ?exposed? to herpes. I?m not sure what that means. I have been to two other doctors who refuse to test me. I have never had any type of break out. Not even cold sores. The last doctor I saw said that she doesn?t do blood test for herpes because it is very confusing. She only does the swab test on the actual lesions. I had the doctors office fax me over a copy of my blood work and the HSV 2 IgG is 2.12. What does that mean? Should I get retested? Should I start on the medicine? I just want to be responsible. Please help.

An_208547 responded:
The term "exposed" is somewhat misleading. You either have herpes or you don't. Your test results indicate you have herpes. It is not uncommon to have herpes and either never have an outbreak, or have an outbreak which you do not recognize as herpes. For example, some woman experience some mild irritation, but never have any blisters. It may never occur to them that what they are experiencing is herpes. It frustrates me your doctors' responses to the testing. Some doctors (I believe) don't test because they figure the stigma associated with knowing is worse than having herpes and possibly spreading it. So sadly, even though herpes is very common, you now are obligated to inform every sexual partner you have (from this point on) that you have herpes.(Which is frustrating because there are so many people out there that have it and don't know!) Other doctors don't test because they may not be up-to-date on the new type-specific testing that is out there. Who knows. Medication can be used if you are experiencing an outbreak or if you want to help reduce shedding the virus. You can shed the virus and transmit to others when you have no outbreak.

lookingup41 responded:
Exposed to herpes is like saying to kind of pregnant...not possible. Your results show that you are positive for HSV2. However, they are low positive. I would recommend retesting 3 months after your last sexual encounter or the western blot test. The western blot is the gold standard for HSV testing. What the doctor is talking about with the confusion is that if someone is positive for HSV1 that does not tell them where...genital or oral. However, when you are positive for HSV2 it is almost no doubt genital, as HSV2 RARELY occurs elsewhere. So, yes defintely retest or get a western blot. There is no such thing as exposed:(

abe648 responded:
First of all you need to call your Doc and confirm which type of test you had done. Was it an IgM or an IgG blood test? If it was an IgM then ignroe that test as it is outdated. If it was an IgM then you need to get a "heroes type specific IgG blood test amd ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them in htis post.

If you had an IgG blood test then you need to ask for the numeric values ans post thiem in this post and put at the top of your reply in the fiirst line "Test results" so Terri or Besy can confirm your status

confusedndhelp replied to abe648's response:
Thank you all for the response. I did put the results of the test in my first post. It was IGg 2.12. I will get retested this Monday and I will request a Western Blot test. The CDC says anything between 1 and 3.5 is undetermined. After I get retested Monday and if it comes back positive I will go from there.

confusedndhelp replied to confusedndhelp's response:
Also are you saying I should go three months without having sex and then get retested?

betsyo1967 replied to confusedndhelp's response:
no you don' t have to not have sex for 3 months unless you chose not to.

if you have a regular partner, they too need tested for hsv2 to see what their status is.

confusedndhelp replied to betsyo1967's response:
Betsy is your take on this the same. The low-positive theory. I read on the CDC website that anything under 3.5 should be retested. I am just going to my regular OBGYN on Monday will they be able to send it off for the western blot or should I go somewhere that specializes in STD testing.

lookingup41 replied to confusedndhelp's response:
They should be able to order it at your doctor. They can order it through a major lab like quest diagnostics, who will then send it out to Univ of Wash.

betsyo1967 replied to confusedndhelp's response:
I would've advised you otherwise if my opinion on confirming your status was any different :)

I actually go a bit farther and anyone with a hsv2 igg under 5 who can't recall any obvious genital symptoms should err on the side of caution and get confirmatory testing.

An_208548 replied to betsyo1967's response:
Wow, Betsey, really? My IgG was around 3 and i never had any outbreaks (to my knowledge). It occurred to me to get retested, but I thought 3 was a definite positive result. I have been on valtrex for a couple of years now to reduce shedding/transmission. But what a shock if I really wasn't positive after all. Can you elaborate on what my next test should be? just another IgG type specific test? Any particular type? Will being on valtrex influence the results of the test one way or another?

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.