Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Long-term side effects
An_208740 posted:
I'm 38 and am taking 1G of Valtrex daily for suppression. with out it I have outbreaks monthly. I unfortunately have genital herpes and appear to have transferrred it somehow to my nose and potentially my eye (lucky me). I always thought I was SO careful and deligent. Anyway I'm curious what are the long term side effects of taking that much valtrex daily and how does that change as we age? Also can you build up a resistance to the anti viral drugs?

abe648 responded:
Lets go back and get this into perspectve how were you diagnosed as having genital herpes? Sewb/cu;ture or a blood test? Do you know which type you have genitally?

Did you get tested for the nose and eye herpes and if so how were you diagnosed as having herpes up there and which type is it up therre?

If you can answer these question then anyone cna more accurately anser all you questions. I am only asking to make sure you have been properly diagnosed.

betsyo1967 replied to abe648's response:
the rates of resistance to the herpes antivirals are still the same as they were 20 years ago - about 1% for otherwise healthy folks. No harm in taking suppressive therapy long term.

are you male or female?

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.