Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Red Pimple Like Bumps Above and Around Penis
An_208928 posted:
for about 4-5 months now I've had red, pimple-like bumps above my penis and around my genital area. I'm 18 and I've been with the same girl through this whole ordeal. At first, we thought it might be herpes because she has cold sores and we regularly engage in oral sex. But after sifting through a lot of information about herpes, I've drited away from that thought because I read that when you first get herpes it is accompanied by intense pain and a bad fever, neither of which I had or have now.

So I was stumped for a while. But then, just recently in the past two or three weeks, my crotch has started to smell really, really bad, to the point where, mere hours after showering I could smell my crotch through my underwear and pants while simply sitting down. I instantly thought it might be a yeast infection, so I looked up some info on that. I found a home test you can do to see if you MIGHT have a yeast infection. The test involved spitting into a cup of water right when you wake up and waiting for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, if your spit becomes cloudy and stringy (like a spider web I guess) then you MIGHT have a yeast infection. After doing this test, my spit became cloudy and stringy implying that I might have a yeast infection. I also did this test on my sister (who doesn't have a yeast infection so she should act as a control group) and her spit didn't become cloudy or stringy.

So my first question is: Does this test have any validity? Or it just BS? And if I do have a yeast infection, how do I treat it?

The test also said that if residue built up at the bottom of the cup that I might have parasites. And, of course, there was a decent amount of residue at the bottom of my cup while none was in my sister's. So, needless to say, I'm kind of freaking out right now.

So here's my next question: If I do have parasites, is this test a valid way to determain so? And if I do have parasites, how in the world do I treat that?

I would really appreciate it if I could just get opinions and answers, not statements saying I should see a doctor. I would really like to avoid involving my parents due to my shame of this whole occurence and because I would like to avoid telling them that my girlfriend and I are sexually active.

Some extra information that may aid you: My girlfriend and I have regular, unprotected sex, but have stopped during the past couple weeks because I'm becoming very uncomfortable about having sex with these bumps uncured. I also did the spit test on my girlfrind and she had the same results as me.

Thank you very much in advance for reading through this mess of text and for your eagerly awaited responses!!

An_208929 responded:
I honestly do know know what that could be, but here we go. You know I have read online that if a person has a cold sore (herpes of the mouth) then has oral sex with you, you can contract it from her. But only if the cold sore on her mouth is the herpes virus 1. which is the cold sores and mouth sores which form on the mouth and can be painful. There are two types of herpes virus and they are NOT curable at all. They are working on a cure though in the future (maybe in 20 yrs). Sorry I cannot be of much help. My advice is go see a doctor. Try a family planning place, they do see males as well as females and it is free, plus they will give you free condoms. Use them, please!

georgiagail responded:
A skin fungal infection (i.e., yeast infection) will have symptoms that include a rash that itches and, when scratched, burns like the dickens.

Your spit test for yeast in the groin area (and parasites) is worthless as an adequate diagnosis for such.

At 18 you should be able to go to a local health department/Planned Parenthood Organization without parental consent for an accurate diagnosis of what the cause of this odor and red pimples might be.

Do you shave your groin area? If so, the red bumps may be a side effect of irritated hair follicles from this shaving?

Gail

betsyo1967 replied to georgiagail's response:
I totally 2nd Gail's reply. Herpes will not cause symptoms non-stop for months either.

Definitely continue avoiding sex until things are back to normal in your genital area too.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.