Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Abreva has really burned me
An_208971 posted:
I used some abreva in my vagina, and boy was that a mistake. Now the whole area is inflamed and really burns...any suggestions? I bought some monistat, but it just isn't helping.

betsyo1967 responded:
abreva is for use on the lip area only.

stop the monistat too!!! you don't want to be using that on inflamed skin.

try something as simple as soaking in the bathtub with a packet of aveeno bath thrown in. I'd also follow up on this with your provider for a proper exam.

do you have genital herpes?

Svetan replied to betsyo1967's response:
Yes I do,
and I have read that abreva can help with genital outbreaks too, so I gave it a try. Like I said...big mistake.

I used it almost five days ago, and the discomfort it has caused is worse than the actual outbreak! I'll try the aveeno bath, but nothing has soothed the area...I have tried monistat, aloe gel, jojoba oil, it all just makes it feel worse!

Svetan replied to Svetan's response:
Could I use a cortisone cream, or something with benzocaine?

betsyo1967 replied to Svetan's response:
I wouldn't apply anything at this point to be honest. topical steroids can trigger herpes recurrences. I'd stay away from that unless directed to use it by a doctor.

You can try the 'caine's. I use dermoplast spray genitally ( the blue can, not the red can for the genital area ). Honestly though if everything you are putting on this is irritating it further, I'd stick to baths and going bottomless when you can to decrease irritation. It's been 5 days though so if it's not better, time to go and be seen.

abreva barely got approved for oral herpes. it had no effect on genital herpes. it's incredibly overpriced for that teeny vial and only clears oral herpes up less than a day sooner than using a placebo. I never recommend it to be honest.

Svetan replied to betsyo1967's response:
Thanks for the advice, yeah I'll be throwing away the abreva. And I am about to go to the store for some Aveeno bath, and maybe some dermoplast. If I feel no relief by tomorrow I will go to the doc. And thanks for letting me know about the cortizone...that makes sense since it is an immunosuppressant.
What do you think of lysine? My pharmacist told me to give it a try...

betsyo1967 replied to Svetan's response:
lysine has little effect on herpes too It has no effect in studies on speeding the healing of genital herpes lesions.

wleona151 replied to betsyo1967's response:
I used Abreva during the blistering stage and already it has made a difference. The product is too dry for my lips however so I am using it in conjunction with Carmex. I am on the fourth day and the sore has gone down quite a bit.
http://www.manufacturerdrugcoupons.com/abreva-coupon/
SAVE $1.50

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.