Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Having a problem coping with HSV-2
An_209033 posted:
I am having a real problem coping with my HSV-2 infection... I wanna just end everything... I am going to be alone for the rest of my life now... I can't do this... I feel pain... This sucks and has been going on for 6 months now...
FirstPrevious12NextLast

marie3366 responded:
Hello,
I am also infected with HSV 2 and felt pretty low at first for a while. I am seeing a therapist now and he has helped to put things in to perspective. It seems that so many of us go through these emotions at first but it does get better; I promise. Have you told a close friend? That helped me a ton! I know several people that are now happily married with kids who also were diagnosed when they were single. Try to keep your head up and if you are feeling that low; I recommend trying to go talk with someone. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to support you. It feels horrible right now but it helps to know you are not alone and to know that people that have been there have been able to move on and live a normal life. Take care of yourself

An_209034 replied to marie3366's response:
I wanna hurt myself... Im so stupid... I am always in some sort of pain, even when I am not having an outbreak... I dont know what to do...

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear one,

Many, and I do mean MANY, people have HSV-2, and there are a lot of them here on this board. I am not dismissing that this is upsetting for you but there is no reason at all to believe you will be alone the rest of your life or even next month or next year.

Keep asking questions here, get yourself informed, read what others are saying. You can have a full, thriving and sexual life even with this diagnosis.

But I am concerned that it is still so bad for you and wonder if you're not being treated well. Please talk with your medical provider about the symptoms you continue to experience and if you're not satisfied with that doctor, find another who will hear you.

Beyond that, please consider therapy to help you process all of this. And if you need help keeping yourself safe, whether because of this or otherwise, please call a crisis line and let them help you.

marie3366 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
When you speak with your medical provider or a new one if you decide to change docs, have them check you internally again to see if you may have bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection etc. if you are female. This happened to me during my initial outbreak and there are antibiotics they give you that helped me a ton. I was having a lot of pain, itching etc. until I treated the bv....if left untreated; it will just get worse and exacerbate hsv symptoms. I am a social worker and familiar with working with people in crisis. I encourage you too to please call a crisis line, tell someone you trust in your life in the meantime so you will stop feeling like you want to hurt yourself. I promise you; people truly want to help. It is a scary process after being diagnosed and so frustrating I'm sure being in constant pain or irritation. With the right medical advice, you will get to the bottom of it and start to feel better. Please hang in there!

An_209035 responded:
I am a guy... I don't have any children right now and now I am afraid I never will... I am so scared... I wish I could reverse my choice(s) in life... I need someone to talk to your right thanks for the advice on that note...

betsyo1967 replied to An_209035's response:
let's start at the very beginning - how were you diagnosed as having genital herpes? do you have hsv1 or hsv2?

how do you treat your herpes?

what are your biggest fears about it besides being alone?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

An_209036 replied to betsyo1967's response:
I have hsv-2 and I was diagnosed by a blood test. My doctor gave me a zovirax cream and referred me to a dermatologist. He gave me valacyclovir 500mg to take for daily suppressive theorpy... My biggest fears is telling a female that I have herpies, having her reject me, then she knows my dirty little secret and tells other people. I thought I was careful, plus another fear of mine is that I give it to her and she hates me for it.. I made a mistake in life, I know everyone has, but why do I have to pay for it with the rest of my life... I am not a bad person, just fooled around, mainly oral sex... I guess I have a lesson to learn huh...

I feel this slight burning sensation in my right side of my groin area too.. the dermatologist said it was normal and will go away... I has decreased but its still there... Is this normal??

An_209037 replied to An_209036's response:
That I will never find my true love now... I will just find friend after friend or friends with benifits... I am so stupid to think I could trust anyone... Yes, I know it could be worse... Its not bad... I have been told that over and over again... I formulate my own opinion on this matter thought... You have to think of it from the standpoint...

Its easy to say, "Its not that bad", when the friends/family themselves who support me, (which don't get me wrong I am VERY greatful) don't have this crappy virus themselves...

An_209038 replied to An_209037's response:
I am very depressed all the time... I hate myself... I mean it is partually my fault too... I just dont know if I can ever trust anyone ever again... I never really had unprotected sex... 1 time and another time I just bairly stuck my penis in a rectum unprotected... thats it the rest is all oral sex... I hate myself right now... I know it could have been worse... I could be dying or something... I should be greatful, I am a little... Half of me is just numb...

betsyo1967 replied to An_209038's response:
can you call and get the results of your blood test to post here for Terri or I to look at? all we need to see are the numeric results to make sure that you were properly tested and don't need additional testing done - ie hsv1 igg 8.7 and hsv2 igg 3.5 or whatever they are. thanks!

have you talked to a professional about your depression? Oftentimes finding out we have genital herpes just magnifies feelings we had prior to herpes and they suddenly become insurmountable. I'm very concerned about the way you put things and think you really need to be getting professional help - this week in fact!

herpes will not be the reason why you sit home on a saturday night. you will be. You can get the risk down to a female partner to 2-3%/year of contracting it from you. That's very close to the risk of pregnancy on the pill.

You can't control what others say to others about you. The way I've handled it the few times it's come up is - well yes I do have herpes, what would you like to know about it - usually that shuts them right up that it doesn't bother me. I'm very open about my herpes though - it's not a secret for me. no one can make you feel bad about having herpes - only you can do that!

hang in there - this is a lot to deal with sometimes. It's really the idea of having herpes that does the number on you, not the actual infection. keep asking questions and keep leaning on friends and family too for support. day to day real life support beats us every time
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

An_209039 replied to betsyo1967's response:
My test results were IGG HSV-1 0.26 and IGG HSV-2 1.87... However, I have had outbreaks on the left side of my penis, and the 1st time my penis looked like a straw berry on the left side and it hurt and my right side lymph node was swollen. this lasted approx. 2 weeks. Twards the end of that, on the left side of the head i had two small fluid filled sacs which i popped... Now I only get breakouts, exspecially when I have friction on the area... Never had that b4 that makes me think I have HSV-2 also...

An_209040 replied to An_209039's response:
I have been on valacyclovir 500mg to take for daily suppressive theorpy and have had 1 outbreak... I started my daily theorpy on April 21st...

chivalrous88 responded:
dont know if your a girl r guym so i will refer to you as dude, please dont take offense. today as i write this it is june 8th, 2010 i just found out maybe 5 hours ago i have HSV-1 and HSV-2. and dude im over it, it sucks, i have to live with it, inconvenience with my life, whatever, its just something im gonna have to deal with. if someone else doesnt like it, forget em, they arent worht a crap as a person anyway if they are like that. so dating will be harder, marriage seems impossible, children? NO WAY! well all thats a load of bull. As i said if someone cant deal with the fact that you have it, they can keep on walking, they arent worth your time. dating, marraige, and kids are possibilty, it sucks BAD im stil pissed and all WTF! about it, but whatever, nothing i can do about it now except live my life, and help protect anyone i care about from it. "what? i have two types of heres!!! damn, that sucks... MOVING ON!" you cant let things get you down, nothing is worth ending your life, you cant let it beat you down, whoop the hell out of it dude! make it your mistress and live your life around it, and LIVE IT UP! outbreak occurs, fine, just take the meds and as soon as it clears up. "FULL SPEED AHEAD MISTER ZULU!" im not saying go nuts and live recklessly, but LIVE and enjoy it while you have it! you can do it!

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.