Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Can STDS be passed through clothing/swimwear?
An_209222 posted:
I bought a swimsuit bottom at a thrift store. I machine washed the bottoms before wearing them. Now, Im being told by many people that I shouldn't have done that. Do I need to schedule an appointment and get tested now? Is it possible for this to be spread this way?
Thank you in advance

betsyo1967 responded:
there is no need for any testing. Tell your friends to get better educated!

you won't get std's from bathing suits.

you also washed i before wearing them which is always a good idea when you buy any clothing - brand spanking new or used!
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Elle0317 responded:
STD stands for 'Sexually' Transmitted disease. Wearing a used bathing suit is not a 'sexual' activity.

CindyC34 replied to Elle0317's response:
That is an incorrect statement. Just because it is classified as an STD doesnt mean the only way you can get it is by having sex. i am a 34 year old female and I got divorced more than a year ago and, sadly as this sounds, I have not been sexually active in that time. I recently began experiencing symptoms, went to see my physician, and was diagnosed with chlamydia. I did not have it at my last annual check up.

I assume I got it by borrowing my single friend's swimsuit while on a recent vacation together. The symptoms appeared shortly after that trip. It is certainly a mistake I won't make again.

Elle0317 replied to CindyC34's response:
I'm not sure why you chose to dig up a 2 year old post just to give me your opinion, however, I will say that I prefer to use facts rather than assumtions when dealing with well, everything.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.