Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Oral Sex??? Transmission Risk??? HSV2
Forgiven72 posted:
Hey there, I am a Gal wanting to take things a little further with my man. Both of us have hsv2, me almost 2 years, him almost 6. We have had sex but that is it. Its been over a year now and I wanted to explore;) But I want to know the risk. Between the both of us, I am the only one who ever seems to get sick. So if I were to perform oral sex on him, what are the chances of me spreading hsv2 to my mouth? Can it be transmitted? After two years I should have built up anitbodies, right? Neither of us have ever had an outbreak on our mouth and don't want to start now (at least we can hide our hsv2 in our pants, haha)... Also, neither of us are on a suppressive therapy(what for, we both got it!)... After I found out and looked for support, I was told by someone who had it for 30+ years that even though it's no fun, I should let my body build up its own antibodies before starting medz and only take the medz when I have an outbreak!.... That was the best advice I have gotten. Because when I do have an outbreak, the medz help that much faster cause my body is not immune to the medz and I only have about 3 days of sickness... Now he doesn't take them cause he is horribly lucky and never gets sick like me!!! So, in the end, without transmitting to my mouth, can I or can't I???

***I would like answers from experts, people with 5+years living experience with hsv2 and hsv2 dating couples like myself... No guessing or links please(did the research, read the books, now I just want REAL PEOPLE answers)... THANKS***

betsyo1967 responded:
this isn't an issue in your relationship other than to not perform oral on obvious genital symptoms to err on the side of caution. you both have significant protection against contracting hsv2 on other body parts.

no truth at all to having to build up antibodies before taking medications. whoever told you that, was grossly misinformed. You start building up protective antibodies from the get-go and you continue to build them even if you take daily suppressive therapy. The herpes antivirals disrupt the viral replication process, the don't keep the virus from replicating or keep the body from having a normal immune response to infection with the virus.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

chddb1 responded:
Like Betsy said, when you/him feel an outbreak or symptoms coming, just avoid oral sex.

Forgiven72 replied to betsyo1967's response:
Thanks Betsy! So in other words, as long as we are not having an ob, there is No Chance OR Low Chance of spreading it to our mouths? What about viral shedding? I have done a dirt load of research on hsv, but I want answers from people like yourself:) Even if him and I and not having an ob, whats the chances of us passing it?

And what I meant about the medz was, since I don't take them on a daily basis, when I do have an ob, the medz actually seem to team up with my immune system and I heal that much faster. I always seem to get an ob during my cycle. So in the past year and a half, I have done my own trial and error on how the medz help me and what my triggers are. I know exactly how they work and am all for them:) And I prefer my body to fight the virus on its own before resorting to alternatives:)
Like the one I was with, 90percent of people who have hsv, don't know they have it. Thats a large number. Get tested. Have the talk. And most of all FORGIVE and move forward.

Betsy, whats with the new format? I can't even email you... You have no idea how much you and abe helped me last year. My old account someone has gotten deleted(probably cause I haven't been on in so long) so I just made this one. But I am happy to see that you are still here, helping people who are terrified, just like I was. Not knowing what this was or how I was going to ever be "ok" again... WELL, I survived thanks to all the support!

NOW I have new questions;) haha
Like the one I was with, 90percent of people who have hsv, don't know they have it. Thats a large number. Get tested. Have the talk. And most of all FORGIVE and move forward.

betsyo1967 replied to Forgiven72's response:
if either of you contract hsv2 orally, you better start playing the lottery - it's that kind of odds of contracting it orally for you both.

your ob's are healing at the same rate as anyone else actually when they use episodic therapy. if you are getting ob's monthly, suppressive therapy is the better option for you. why wait for ob's to heal when you can prevent them? 3 or 4 days a month times 12 months x years of discomfort?????? not worth it to me.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

don't even get me started on the new format and the combining of all the std's into one forum. we actually lost many of our regulars here because of it and they are greatly missed.

I am actually a bit excited now:) I didn't think I would ever be excited about sex again, haha... Now I can be spontaneous again! And it's been well over year of dating, now the fun begins. And I just might buy a lotto ticket too;)

well if you win big, remember I'm paying a college tuition for my kid....lol

have fun *wink wink nudge nudge*

HAHA... omg, I still have 15years before mine are in college!!! I was lucky enough to get the *gift my first time around, I just might win my first lotto:) I am so happy I can joke about H now. I never thought that'd be possible!

I am so looking forward to this weekend;)

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.