Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Positive for HSV 2
An_209382 posted:
I am entering a new relationship and recently went to get tested for all STD's---figured I was being responsible! I received my test results and my Dr. informs me that I tested positive for history of HSV2 with IgG levels of 1.17. Mind you, I have never had an outbreak or symptoms so this came as a bit of a shock. She recommended I get on Valtrex if I am interested in trying to reduce transmission and outbreaks to future partners. My questions are:

1. Do I definitely have genital herpes?
2. SHould I take the medication?
3. What are the chances of my partner performing oral sex and then contracting the disease orally? Obviously I dont know when or if I am having an outbreak so I am jsut concerned over when to abstain, best practices, etc.

Any information of reading the blood test and advice is appreciated---thanks!

An_209383 responded:
Also, since I have never had an outbreak, what is the likelihood that I will ever in life?

My only "symptom" I can rack my brain for is discharge...sometimes I get more than normal but i always just chalked this up to being the week before my period or something liek that?!

anon4689 replied to An_209383's response:
I don't really have "advice" but i have a question... I am HSV2 positive && I just want to know how do I go about dating now? You said that you just got tested with your partner && (if you don't mind sharing) what did he say?

I guess I'm just so embarassed to date anyone or persue any kind of relationship.

Forgiven72 responded:
The IgG Test is really accurate. Did your doctor tell you which type you had? Usually there are two numbers, one for hsv1 and the other for hsv2. You should ask for a copy, it's not hard to read.

If you have never had an outbreak, I don't see why you would take a daily suppressive therapy UNLESS you are activley dating and do not want to pass this to your partner. Also, you do need to have the talk with your partner. First read the facts and learn more about what you are dealing with, that way if any questions come up, you will have an answer. And ask about his std history. This is a must have converstion. Do not think that just because you are not having an outbreak, that this will not spread.
Abe posted a great "tip" on hsv and transmission statistics. But do keep in mind, if he does not have hsv, then he does not have the antibodies that you do. Good Luck!
Like the one I was with, 90percent of people who have hsv, don't know they have it. Thats a large number. Get tested. Have the talk. And most of all FORGIVE and move forward.

Thalia214 replied to Forgiven72's response:
I was told it was HSV 2...does that help at all in determining the number I was given?

The only reason I would start taking the meds is to at least try to not pass on to my partner...

Forgiven72 replied to anon4689's response:
Do not be embarrassed. You can AND will realize that there are more people out there in this situation then you realize. I felt the same way when I found out. I thought I was destined to be alone forever. I came to WebMd the same night I found out, told my story, and cried my eyes out because of all the GOOD feedback I recieved. It was only a matter of time before I started to realize that everything was going to be alright.
Now I know everyone has a different situation and some people dont have someone to talk to, but fortunately I was able to share this with my family and friends. I automatically assumed that after I told them, I would be treated like I had the plague... NOPE. They still didn't see me any other way. So then dating came into play again. I started out looking for people in the same situation, just so I can make friends and ask how they went about the "talk"... It has been fine. I have met men without and men with it. And the men I have met with it, had NO problem with it. They valued my honesty as opposed to me thinking "maybe I wont pass it and so I don't have to tell them"...
Take care of yourself first. Get the facts and learn more. If you are embarrassed about having hsv2, then you are not going to have confidence in yourself when you have the talk with a future partner. In my experience, when I told a partner about my situation (probably my first talk after finding out, so I was still "embarrassed"), I made it seem like there was something "wrong" with me, therefore, turning him away. However, the next time around, I was more calm and collective, had the answers to the things he had asked. Talked about preventable measures, and he accepted me. So dating is possible. Just guard your heart and take precaution.
Like the one I was with, 90percent of people who have hsv, don't know they have it. Thats a large number. Get tested. Have the talk. And most of all FORGIVE and move forward.

Forgiven72 replied to Thalia214's response:
a .9 and above is considered positive. So even though it's low, it still looks like a positive. Also, if you are getting discharge that is not normal, you could be having an outbreak "inside". My ob's always come around the time of my cycle and I get one bump, the same place everytime. But when I had a pap, she said I had a scar inside so I know that when I am feeling sick, having discharge that isn't normal then I am having an outbreak.. The first is the usually the worst, but some people can go years without a sign or symptom.

And the meds will have LOWER the chances of passing this to your partner. It does not eliminate the chances. That is why it is important to have the talk.

betsyo1967 replied to Forgiven72's response:
I'm pretty sure you also posted this on medhelp where I've replied and given you advice.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Thalia214 replied to betsyo1967's response:
yes i did...they are talking about false postives, Western blot tests...im more confused now.

I should have mentioned that 2 years ago I test 1.1 IgG for HSV and they had me retest, came back negative and then this would be my third...1.17 2 years later---my dr. says i was exposed 6mos. plus ago so this is nothign iw ould have gotten from a recent partner...im jsut trying to figure this out. Two years ago I dismissed the 1.1 bc of the second negative so I dont knwo what to do with these results. Somethingi s going on here...if I had this for 2 years, wouldnt my blood levels be higher than a 1.17 after 2 years?

chddb1 replied to Thalia214's response:
Gail or Terri I believe are the only certified people (maybe Betsy) on this forum that can interpret igg test results. Maybe one of them will chime in on your results and questions.

betsyo1967 replied to chddb1's response:
Actually only Terri and I can give help with the igg herpes tests. I can't speak for gail's expertise at all so I have no idea if she's been properly trained or not.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

betsyo1967 replied to Thalia214's response:
already replied to these questions on medhelp under my gracefromhhp nick.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.