Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

When can sex resume after herpes outbreak has gone?
An_209422 posted:
My girlfriend has herpes, and so we are understandably cautious when she has an outbreak, which means no sex of any kind. However, I was wondering if someone could say how soon after the symptoms of an outbreak have gone (in this case I am thinking of bumps/sore area around the genitals) we can have sex (with condoms - we always use protection). I know that herpes can be transmitted without any symptoms present (that's why we always use condoms) but I know the likelihood is most acute during an outbreak. But how soon is too soon after an outbreak? Should we wait at least 4 days from the disappearance of any obvious symptoms to have oral sex or intercourse?

chddb1 responded:
First off kudos for taking the time to protect yourself but being understanding and willing to be with someone that does have HSV. Because it can be transmitted (shedding) even with condom use, makes it difficult to gauge a time period. Possibly Betsy or Gail will chime in for you to give you an idea of what typically is a safe time perid to wait.

Roberttrini replied to chddb1's response:
Thanks for yoru reply chddb. Can anyone else help me out further re: the time period one should wait? I am aware it can be asymptomatically shed, but obviously the danger of transmission is far greater during an outbreak.

Summer2682 replied to chddb1's response:
I usually wait 7 - 10 days depending on how long the outbreak lasts, how severe it is, and how I am feeling in general in the genital area. This is not a clinical judgement or fact and I did not get it from anywhere. It's just the experience I've had of where my comfort levels are with my partner as well.

betsyo1967 responded:
does your gf treat her herpes? is she on daily suppressive therapy?

when was the last time you were tested?

pretty much once the skin has returned to normal, it's ok to have sex again. No set time to wait afterwards. if she's treating her ob's, it shortens shedding time of the virus as well as speeds healing.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.