Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Just found out I have HSV-1 yesterday, Help me
alessam00 posted:
Hi,

I just found out that I have HSV-1 yesterday (25th Aug 2010). I was really shocked and feel doomed when my doctor told me about this news. Plus, she said my percentage is very high! More than 10. Then she gave me Lovir 800 mg 5x for 5 days, every 3-4 hours. I am taking it now.

I never thought that I will get this because I suffered no outbreak before or I actually had suffered once before I did the blood tests for STDs. But I thought it was just a pimple, because it looks like a pimple to me, but I remembered I feel burning when it appeared. I don't know until now whether it was just a pimple or an outbreak.
Now, I have one red rash below my belly, it's itchy. Again, I don't know whether it is just a rash or another outbreak. Apart from that, I am alright. Can anyone helps me?

Until now, I had read plenty websites about HSV-1 & 2, I feel ashamed, helpless. I am just 24 years old and not married, single. I cannot imagine how my social life begins now. I am scared to kiss, to perform oral sex and to have sex now. I don't want to transfer the virus to another person (although I don't know who transferred it to me and I don't wanna be an irresponsible person). I read about some websites say that use condom when have sex which I always, all the time do use the condom, so this is not a problem for me. But, what about kissing? oral sex? And how to explain my partner (if any, in the future) that I have HSV-1? Something like "Hey, I can't kiss you or perform oral sex because I have HSV-1". It will freak him out. . .and I am gonna be alone for the rest of my life? When I can kiss a guy? Because the website says that although I have no outbreak, the virus still can be transmitted to another person?

Please help me.

Rose456 responded:
Hsv1 is not a big deal at all, half of the population already has it. Some don't even know until they get a blood test. You can still kiss someone,just not when your having outbreaks on your mouth. You can use a condom for oral sex. Please cheer up, Hsv1 does not ruin your life. I'm in a similar situation myself. I'm 24 never had sex before,just received oral sex and I was told by a nurse that I might have hsv1 below the belt. I got tested and I have hsv1 1:29, The doctor is telling me I had hsv1 already maybe from childhood, and maybe what happend below the belt was something else. Anyhow, I was freaking out,and the doctors are telling me that hsv1 is not that big of a deal. It is less recurrent and it shed last often,so chances are small that you would even pass it to anyone. I'm still having anxeity over it but, I'm doing better than before.

Ps. you don't have to tell a partner you have hsv1, when things are getting serious, go get tested with your partner and they will find out from there. Who knows mostly likely they are going to come up positive for hsv1 too. It's very common. I'm not a doctor but I have been researching this, and asking questions from professionals.

chddb1 responded:
Your life is definitely not over. Maybe I missed it in your post but do you have HSV 1 orally or genitally? Roughly 25% of the population has one form of the HS virus. It sounds like you have genital herpes simplex 1. If that is the case, your odds that you do NOT pass the virus onto your partner are significanlty high 96% without protection and just go up from there with condom use and medication. I believe those statistics are actually for HSV2 and not 1. 1 might even increase your odds more in your favor. I know it sucks right now and you feel like no one will want you...but that is NOT the case. I have dated 3 young women who all had GH type 2 and I did not contract the virus nor was I afraid of it. It will not kill you, and it does not define who you are.

betsyo1967 responded:
what testing did you have done so far on your genital symptoms? I assume you are talking about genital hsv1?
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

alessam00 replied to betsyo1967's response:
I did the blood test and the doctor told me that I have Type 1 orally but the percentage is more than 10

I did a swab test on the rashes I have on my body now and now waiting for the result. But the doctor told me that they might not be herpes outbreaks as it just a red dot in one place and then another a red dot in another place.

Now, I am still scared to kiss a guy even I really do want it because I read somewhere that even there is no active outbreak, but it could be transferred to another via saliva only...

Few questions:-

1. if I kiss him, then guy performs oral down there, am I going to get HSV-1 too down there/HSV-2 too?

2. can the virus be transferred to another person by touching his/her body? Like holding hands?

Anyway,thanks for your replies, it helps me but I still feel uneasy about this matter but it's not as bad as the first few days I knew about it

betsyo1967 replied to alessam00's response:
most adults have hsv1. Most have it orally. It's incredibly common. Your result being over 10 is meaningless other than it's positive. it doesn't mean you have a "severe" infection of it or anything like that.

you aren't likely to contract hsv1 genitally once you have it orally. You can still contract hsv2 though. not many folks have hsv2 orally to transmit it to you through performing oral sex on you.

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_oralherpes.cfm is a terrific link with information in it on oral herpes for more reading.
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

An_209465 responded:
I feel the exact same way, i just went to the doctor to get checked for my own peace of mind and she told me i have hsv1 orally. I am 19 and i am single but have dated a lot. At first i felt so alone because kissing is actually more important to me than sex, kissing to me is the most wonderful form of intimacy. I just met this guy that makes me feel amazing i like him already and i know that the time is coming where he is going to want to kiss me. It gives me great pain and constant anxiety to think that i would pass this onto someone i care about so much. I think that the anxiety is actually making the outbreaks on my mouth worse. I feel like if he found out he wouldnt want me anymore and he really likes me too. IDK i just feel scared and alone and im so anxcious and although i know that up to 80 percent of adults have hsv1 orally i still feel that im like disgusting. I already had low self esteem issues as a teen and have finally began to feel worth dating. Now ive found someone i really like and i feel like i wont be able to tell him about this because i feel ashamed. Should i tell him? Should i just be careful? IDK im just feeling a bit freaked out right now as well, glad to know im not alone.

elle0317 replied to An_209465's response:
FWIW: My fiance has both HSV I orally and HSV II genitally and we've been together for over 5 years now. We kiss every single day several times a day and have sex 2-3 times a week. I'm still negative for both HSV I & II. I believe you are making this a much bigger deal than you need to. And I do agree that people who do have HSV should tell people they are having or planning to have intimate contact with they have the virus and although the chances are low there is still a chance they may contract it.

Macy19 replied to An_209465's response:
Hi, i am 19 years old also and I found out 2 days ago that I have hsv 1. I'm still sort or confused as to if I have oral or genital herpes because my doctor wasn't too clear about it and because as soon as she told me the news I couldn't stop crying. I have not had any symptoms yet & I'm terrified of that day coming. I have not told a SOUL about this because I feel so disgusting. I'm have a sex partner & we (were) about ready to start dating but ever since the news I just stop talking to him & we've been close friends for 2 years now..I cry myself to sleep every night and think about it all day..I can't Kiss him touch him I'm scared to have sex I can't let anyone drink from me..the list goes on..I'm so stressed and I don't know what to do..I really need some advice & I'm considering getting a second opinion from a different doctor

georgiagail replied to Macy19's response:
Most adults carry HSV1, having picked this up in childhood. You've likely had this for years (orally) and if you've never had a cold sore then you've never had an outbreak. There is no reason to cry yourself to sleep every night over this.

Gail

Macy19 replied to chddb1's response:
Hi, i am 19 years old also and after taking blood for my heart conditions,I found out 2 days ago that I have hsv 1. I'm still sort or confused as to if I have oral or genital because my doctor wasn't too clear about it and because as soon as she told me the news I couldn't stop crying. I have not had any symptoms yet ,no cold sores no bumps but I'm terrified of that day coming. I have not told a SOUL about this because I feel so disgusting, knowing that i can get painful blisters. My doctor told me that this virus is very common and gave me some sort of percentage that 80% of adults have this virus.she said i may have contracted this when i was a kid because this is so common. but how?? she said i could have kissed someone who had an outbreak of herpes but i have not been with anyone who ever showed signs of a cold sore or anything. she said sharing towels, razors, & even lipgloss also. I never had oral sex before either..i cant kiss anyone?? im so confused & scared. i cry all day and night everytime i think about this..im stuck with this disgusting virus for the rest of my life..I really need some advice & I'm considering getting a second opinion from a different doctor.

Zo1994 replied to Macy19's response:
Hiya am 19 2 had feel the same way many you could give me your email so we can chat help etch other out would be nice to talk to someone as I have told no one and have knowing over 8 weeks let me no and I will give u mine x

An_259827 replied to Zo1994's response:
Hi ! I'm 20 and I just found out I have HSV 1 2.92 yesterday. I never had a cold sore, or any serve outbreak, I think. At one time I thought I had one but it only lasted for about 1 or 2 days. I'm nervous and scared. Because, June 2014 I've meet someone who's special to me and we're talking and we really like each other. The info the doctor told me wasn't make sense. HSV 1 is the good virus not the bad one. I could still kiss, have sex, kids etc... but my biggest thing is I don't want to pass the infection to my partner. They said that outbreaks only takes place don to stress, illness, fever, menstrual period, sun exposure, surgery. Ok, I had all of that recently. I stress because, 1) College Exams 2) Family problems & now 3) Because, I don't want to feel put in a bubble. Menstrual period, I'm on it right now & still no outbreaks. Sun Exposure have occured, I stay in the sunshine state, Miami to be exact. Surgery, I had wisdom tooth removed. And I still have no outbreaks, and this has been going on for the past year. I told the person I've gained feelings for what I have and they seem fine. We agreed to go to the doctor together so he could learn more information on me. But til then, awkward moments have taken place. I'm really scared. I took the test over because, honestly I think they made a mistake. I should have my results soon, hopefully.

georgiagail replied to An_259827's response:
Most folks who carry this virus (and yes, the majority of adults have this, having picked this up in childhood), rarely or never have an outbreak. Children often pick this up because they have a tendency to "mouth" everything, toys, keys, etc..

It's likely the person you've gained feelings for may also carry this virus then. This is really a very common virus.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.